• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex Ncore NC252MP market overview

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Difficult to see why the manufacture restricts the sale of the NC252 module, surely a "free trade" issue here for the EU.
The NC252MP was sold in 2019 directly from Hypex for a very short time i believe. But then they restricted it to only sell to systems integrators.

I suspect they had to give more and more support to endusers. They then probably decided to remove the modules to keep support volume at, or below, the level that they where at the time, to keep the business about manufacturing and distributing mainly.

Exactly what was originally written, the manufacturer restricts the sale of the NC252 module and the DIY product range can be found at https://www.diyclassd.com/.
As i read it as well, @pma must have lost a word or two.

This in turn means that Ghent Audio is only able to sell the case kit for the NC252 to electrical equipment manufacturers, so why does it offer a "solderless" option?
Again, there was a small time period where they sold the modules as they are.

However I observe you found a way of obtaining a NC252 module to build your own amplifier, as set out at https://pmacura.cz/pma_nc252mp.htm.
As he writes, he made a business account and got the module. You can do the same if you want to.

So what you are really saying is that individual constructors should not have access to the same products as an electrical equipment manufacturer, such as you, has.
No, it's Hypex saying that :)

pma

Major Contributor
However I observe you found a way of obtaining a NC252 module to build your own amplifier, as set out at https://pmacura.cz/pma_nc252mp.htm.

I have a license as an electronic equipment manufacturer, though my activity is not concentrated exclusively on audio. I had to provide them with the copy of the license and then I received the account.

Fleuch

Why should it be necessary to provide Hypex with whatever paperwork is required to satisfy an arbitrary "appropriate person" test, just to purchase an audio module?

To a professionally qualified and reasonably competent electrical engineer but without the commercial documentation to meet such a test, it is a form of unnecessary discrimination. Further, to suggest I could do the same is unreasonable, and I would be uncomfortable trying to deceive Hypex by submitting inaccurate paperwork. So no, I could not do the same as @pma. That is as it may be, but there should be no need to have to go through the process of establishing an OEM account to facilitate the purchase of certain of nCore modules.

The NC 400 module is available to purchase on https://www.diyclassd.com/, along with four modules from the UcD range. All are single channel and require additional power supply boards compared to the NC252 which is dual channel and has an on-board power supply. In the DIY domain, assembly of these modules has greater complexity, potentially requiring a greater degree of support, than assembling a NC252 module. If there is one Hypex module that should be part of the DIY range, it is the NC252.

It is reasonable to suggest that profit margin is the real motive, rather than protecting the market for electrical equiment manufacturers, with greater margins available on the multiple DIY modules required to assemble a two-channel amplifier.

The decision by Hypex to categorise modules as OEM restricts the availability of these modules to individual constructors, which in turn is to the perceived benefit of electrical equipment manufacturers. Modules can be purchased from competitors such as Purifi and ICEpower without such an unreasonable restriction, so why not Hypex?

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why should it be necessary to provide Hypex with whatever paperwork is required to satisfy an arbitrary "appropriate person" test, just to purchase an audio module?

To a professionally qualified and reasonably competent electrical engineer but without the commercial documentation to meet such a test, it is a form of unnecessary discrimination. Further, to suggest I could do the same is unreasonable, and I would be uncomfortable trying to deceive Hypex by submitting inaccurate paperwork. So no, I could not do the same as @pma. That is as it may be, but there should be no need to have to go through the process of establishing an OEM account to facilitate the purchase of certain of nCore modules.

The NC 400 module is available to purchase on https://www.diyclassd.com/, along with four modules from the UcD range. All are single channel and require additional power supply boards compared to the NC252 which is dual channel and has an on-board power supply. In the DIY domain, assembly of these modules has greater complexity, potentially requiring a greater degree of support, than assembling a NC252 module. If there is one Hypex module that should be part of the DIY range, it is the NC252.

It is reasonable to suggest that profit margin is the real motive, rather than protecting the market for electrical equiment manufacturers, with greater margins available on the multiple DIY modules required to assemble a two-channel amplifier.

The decision by Hypex to categorise modules as OEM restricts the availability of these modules to individual constructors, which in turn is to the perceived benefit of electrical equipment manufacturers. Modules can be purchased from competitors such as Purifi and ICEpower without such an unreasonable restriction, so why not Hypex?
I agree, it sucks for us, but it's their business and therefore their rules.

SCG

TBE, great job and thanks for doing this! I started one myself in Excel (before I found yours) when I was looking for Hypex NC252MP builders. I then switched to Purifi Eigentakt and did the same thing in Excel which lead me to VTV being the best cost coupled with quickest shipping for me in the U.S. I ordered on Sunday, it shipped Monday and will be here Friday.

Great work and thanks again, one update is that Buckeye's NC252MP 2-channel Amp has increased from $529 to $579 (I think due to his new Input and LED boards) so now same price as VTV but with longer lead times (3 months vs 4 days). His 2 channel Ghent builds are still $549 though and about 3 weeks lead times.

Edit: with the correct link and tag

Last edited:
OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

SCG

Cheers, you meant the NC252MP went from 529 to 579, the NC502MP is not in scope and costs some more. Updated the first post. Thanks :cool:
Correct, had too many tabs opened and copy & pasted the wrong link and tag (lots of research) edited with the correct link and tag. Also when you update the 1st post you can also include "Y" under Clip LED column too.

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Correct, had too many tabs opened and copy & pasted the wrong link and tag (lots of research) edited with the correct link and tag. Also when you update the 1st post you can also include "Y" under Clip LED column too.
Y added. Thanks :)

Reactions: SCG

SCG

Also under the notes column might want to add that Buckeye (non-Ghent build) now has auto-on/off (signal sensing) like the BoXem Arthur units do.

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also under the notes column might want to add that Buckeye (non-Ghent build) now has auto-on/off (signal sensing) like the BoXem Arthur units do.
Did so, thanks my dude. :)

Is anyone familiar with Deer Creek Audio?
Checked their stuff, very modern. But no NCore amps, or did i miss them?

HighFutility

Currently deciding between xlr vs RCA inputs on a two-channel amp. There's a lot of used gear( pre amps & processors) on the market using RCA, very little with XLR. If I go the rca (unbalanced route) what am I giving up if anything at all. I am looking to integrate a sub into the unit. I was looking at the minidsp 2x4hd as my way to integrate a sub.

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I go the rca (unbalanced route) what am I giving up if anything at all.
You risk ground loops. Never had one, but those that do seem to be bothered by them :cool:

I am looking to integrate a sub into the unit. I was looking at the minidsp 2x4hd as my way to integrate a sub.
Perfect choice, will work great, i have one as well.

I use RCA on anything so far. Saves a bit of money and i don't have to fumble with adapters. Bouth my NC252MP module with RCA and the MiniDSP Flex as well.

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd say the NC400 they sell is likely an NCore amp
Well, only NC252MP modules in this market overview.
If you want to know if they are good, yes, the modules are good, all of them. Not sure about Deer Creek Audio.

pavelk

I was trying to buy a NC252MP module to give Class D a try, but couldn't order it by itself anywhere. Hypex forbids the sale of the modules to DIY tinkerers such as me. So i took some time and collected the OEMs that use that specific module in their amps.

Every single one of them would have done the trick, they all should sound more or less the same, which i guess is very good news.
You can buy using appearance, price, mood or binding posts as your main criteria. What a time to be alive :cool:

Manufacturer
Model
Module
Price/with VAT
URL
ASR Username
12v Trigger
Signal in
Clip LED
LED
Notes
Apollon​
NCMP400​
Hypex NC252MP​
790€/​
Slovenia​
450mm/82mm/292mm​
XLR​
WTB CU or speakON, black or silver, paid options: 12v trigger, WBT AG and feet​
Audiophonics​
MPA-S250NC RCA​
Hypex NC252MP​
415.83€/494.8€​
France​
141mm/65mm/357mm​
y​
RCA​
Trigger is labeled 5-12V​
Audiophonics​
MPA-S250NC XLR​
Hypex NC252MP​
415.83€/494.8€​
France​
141mm/65mm/357mm​
y​
XLR​
Trigger is labeled 5-12V​
BoXem​
Arthur 3409/N2​
Hypex NC252MP​
749€/876.33€​
Luxembourg​
224mm/80mm/318mm​
XLR​
y​
3 faceplate and 2 body colors, signal sensing (auto on/off), clip indicator​
Buckeye​
Hypex NC252MP​
Hypex NC252MP​
USD579/​
USA​
7“/3.5“/12“​
y​
XLR​
y​
Trigger switchable, signal sensing (auto on/off), priced options: rackmount, colors, speakON​
Buckeye​
NC252MP Ghent build​
Hypex NC252MP​
USD549/​
USA​
XLR​
on/dimmed​
black or silver, LED black,green,orange,white, see https://www.ghentaudio.com/kit/2180a-2.html
Internet Of Music (IOM)​
IOM i250​
Hypex NC252MP​
537.19€/​
Netherlands​
y​
RCAx3​
on/off/dimmed​
black or silver, volume control, selectable 3 channel input​
Internet Of Music (IOM)​
IOM Ncore​
Hypex NC252MP​
453.72€/​
Netherlands​
y​
RCA​
on/off/dimmed​
black or silver​
Internet Of Music (IOM)​
IOM Ncore​
Hypex NC252MP​
453.72€/​
Netherlands​
y​
XLR​
on/off/dimmed​
black or silver​
Internet Of Music (IOM)​
IOM v250 RCA​
Hypex NC252MP​
516.53€/​
Netherlands​
y​
RCA​
on/off/dimmed​
black or silver, volume control​
Internet Of Music (IOM)​
IOM v250 XLR​
Hypex NC252MP​
536.36€/​
Netherlands​
y​
XLR​
on/off/dimmed​
black or silver, volume control​
KJF Audio​
SA-01​
Hypex NC252MP​
£590/​
UK​
230mm/83mm/370mm​
y​
RCA or XLR​
y​
Overtemp indication, they use the word „Phono“ for RCA connectors, Paid options: Walnut/Sapele/Cherry/Maple front panels, silver RCA connector​
March Audio
P252
Hypex NC252MP
AUS716/
Australia
180mm/75mm/330mm
y
XLR
y
comes with USB drive containing documentation, discontinued around end of march 2022​
Nord​
Nord One MP NC252​
Hypex NC252MP​
£479/​
UK​
240mm/94mm/280mm​
RCA or XLR​
black or silver, claims 2x200W/8 Ohms, priced options: 12v trigger​
Nord​
Nord One SE MP NC253​
Hypex NC252MP​
£544/​
UK​
240mm/94mm/280mm​
RCA or XLR​
black or silver, claims 2x200W/8 Ohms, priced options: 12v trigger​
VTV​
VTV Hypex MP​
Hypex NC252MP​
USD579/​
USA​
8“/3.125“/11“​
on/off/dimmed​
Paid options: 12V Trigger in/out, different Speaker Terminals​

Edit #1: Removed the in stock column as it will age like warm milk.
Edit #2: Removed Apollons Dual NC252MP, replaced with single NC252MP offer
Edit #3: Added Apollon ASR user
Edit #4: March Audio P252 discontinued
Edit #5: Buckeye went from USD529 to USD579, Ghent build stayed the same. Also shows clipping.
Edit #6: Buckeye has ability to sense signal (auto on/off)

ARTHUR 3409/N2 is at €790.00 Tax excluded now...

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

ultimo_boulevard

Except that Audiophonics is a larger shop and orders larger quantities? I don't think so.

Some try to add value by appealing to nationality, hand built in the USA, hand built in the UK and so on. But the enclosures are likely from China and the modules always from Belgium.

Others add value by adding features, for example autosensing of the music signal or large VU meters. I can see value in that.

The 500€ proposition has the trigger by default :cool:

It's also very easy to add it yourself later. There is a 3.3v to 12v trigger on the module itself, just add a cable and route it through some enclosure holes outside if you don't want to void warranty.
I believe the modules are all made in the Netherlands, Groningen. That's why I would maybe trust IOM systems more.

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe the modules are all made in the Netherlands, Groningen. That's why I would maybe trust IOM systems more.
I don't think so.

There was a box of stolen modules offered to me via this forum a few weeks back. The seller was in the US and had zero posts on ASR, he talked to me via PM, probably because i have NC252MP in my signature or something. He claimed the box with the modules was just left somewhere and his boss gave it to him. I concluded the modules where stolen.

1652778312957.png

I shared all communication with Hypex (and the ASR mods), to give them a chance to check their inventory with the serial numbers i got and talk to their US customers. I stalled the guy, got his Ebay handle, where he worked and other details and gave it to them. I thought they would call the police in the city where he worked to check and recover the stolen goods.

I learned that Hypex NL don't see the modules, they get sent from Hongkong directly to the customers (that is, system integrators that assemble and sell amps). The modules go straight to the US without even going through Europe. That tells me the modules are not made in Europe. Any European systems integrator likely get's his modules from Hongkong as well.

After a few days i called Hypex again and they said one of the custormers in the US expected a shipment of a few boxes that was partly overdue.

Eventually i told the possible thief i'm not interested anymore and called Hypex a last time to tell them i'm not stalling anymore.

pma

Major Contributor
I learned that Hypex NL don't see the modules, they get sent from Hongkong directly to the customers (that is, system integrators that assemble and sell amps). The modules go straight to the US without even going through Europe. That tells me the modules are not made in Europe. Any European systems integrator likely get's his modules from Hongkong as well.
I do not thing so, see the attached shot.

hypex.JPG

Top Bottom