• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex Ncore NC252MP market overview

Xcaliber

I did a DIY route on the Hypex NC400, dual mono, totally not worth it at all.

1) Most DIY cases out there are pretty ugly for my personal taste.

2) No advance features like remote trigger, signal sensing. I had to install a remote WiFi power relay switch with a power supply for it to be able to remote on/off.

3) Didn't really save all that much money, in fact after the custom WiFi power control and soon to be sand blasted (because silver is only silver front plate, not the entire case), it costs more than buying it from an assembler.

I did a lot of research lately, the best option for me is either Nord or Apollon because I want the full 440/450mm wide case to actually match what's in my rack. Their casework is actually good looking. All the other manufacturers are using the small cases and looks pretty standard plain Jane you get off the shelf. Apollon looks the best, but more expensive. Nord is probably the winner for me, also emailed with Colin to ask some questions, his customer service won me over, he's polite, humble, helpful and patient, unlike some others I have experienced so far.

A lot of the cases used by the assemblers looked like they came straight from Home Depot and RadioShack as well, some of them got the backyard industrial vibe, not exactly showpiece worthy IMO. Personally I prefer Apollon, IOM, and March Audio. :D

Willem

Major Contributor
If you are indeed in the Netherlnds, there is also Boxem, although more expensive.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Anyone has any experience with the soundimpress version?

I saw that the audiophonics version has some regular button malfunctioning, so was looking for other options.
Don't mean to go off thread, but I see that SoundImpress also do ICEpower versions at equivalent prices to Hypex. Any particular reason to choose between these?

(edited for spelling)

Sokel

Master Contributor
Don't mean to go off thread, but I see that SoundImpress also do ICEpower versions at equivalent prices to Hypex. Any particular reason to choose between these?

(edited for spelling)
The cheap ones are not Ice Power Edge version,so better avoid.
I would wait for the Conductor.
When it comes to ICE small ones go for 300a2 and 400a2 module builds if someone wants less power.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The cheap ones are not Ice Power Edge version,so better avoid.
I would wait for the Conductor.
When it comes to ICE small ones go for 300a2 and 400a2 module builds if someone wants less power.
Thanks, that's useful. Appreciated

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
If you are indeed in the Netherlnds, there is also Boxem, although more expensive.
Boxem stopped his Arthur models based on ncore MPxxx modules.
His current Arthur models are purify based.
The new "A" lineup is based on hypex NCX500 modules.

JoostE

Yeah I am indeed from the Netherlands. Boxem is out my budget, it is for a desktop set of ls50 meta. The amp will be hidden from sight so the looks are not that important. A working power button is thought

Yeah I am indeed from the Netherlands. Boxem is out my budget, it is for a desktop set of ls50 meta. The amp will be hidden from sight so the looks are not that important. A working power button is thought
Whilst this is not what you are after. This guy I think ships in Europe and has an 8 way NC122 at £1,024. Two weeks ago he had one ( I think ) 8 channel NC252 at £1,200 inc VAT. Cracking price - https://kjfaudio.com/product/8-channel-ma-01-amplifier-125w-black-hifi-front-and-binding-posts/. He is not as well known as Nord in the UK but a lot of guys who have Nord think this is a superior product. Better rear plate layout ( for cabling ) inc. fan's activated if needed, soft start ect.

JoostE

Thanks for showing the option. Sadly he doesn't have 2 channel at this moment.

Palmspar

Al the class d amps on soundinports.
But for use with a pc i think a small class d amp with hdmi is a better way to connect the speakers.
An SVS soundbase or other amp with hdmi.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They offer very good objective performance for little money, thus have high value. All of those modules offer good sound/power to price ratio, often not easy to reach with designs such as A/B.
Yes. You could argue that this module covers >98% of home audio use cases (adjusted as necessary for channels). Most of the gains of more expensive ones seem inaudible even at strict thresholds.

Palmspar

Better than USB?
Hdmi an usb are both digital, but the class d amps i posted have not an usb port also.
Multi channel is hdmi the best option, 7.1 or Atmos HD audio works fine with a windows pc and my denon 3400x receiver.

Last edited:

JoostE

Well I already have a SMSL SU9 and Singxer SA-1 on my desk (initially for headphones), so I only need a power amp ;)

Top Bottom