• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex NC502MP NCore Amplifier 500Wx4 compatability with AVR

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For reference:
Rated RCA Output Level and Impedance:
1 V rms/470 Ohms (Subwoofer Pre-out)
200 mV rms/470 Ohms
(Zone 3/Height 2/Surround Back Pre-/Line-out)
Screenshot 2022-03-22 232000.png

Screenshot 2022-03-22 232309.png

OP
G

Grierts

I hope it is a typo.:eek:

It is far from enough to drive NC502MP modules, that work with 2.35Vrms input sensitivity.
I'm sorry man,

When you say far from enough,

Does my avr have enough power , yes or no?

OP
G

Grierts

Gotcha, so what will happen when I try to connect the amp and AVR ?

No power to the amp? I will not get the full Wattage to my speakers?

Not arguing or being combative. Genuinely curious.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The signal going out of the amp will be roughly 18dB below max output, if i look at this table (from 0,25V to 2V):
Decibel-values-corresponding-to-doubling-and-halving-of-the-voltage-gain..jpg

I would never be able to detect it, since i'm an apartment dweller. :cool:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Not arguing or being combative. Genuinely curious.
You would turn your AVR to max and still not reach full power of the amps. Essentially you would be paying for watts you cannot use.

OP
G

Grierts

The signal going out of the amp will be roughly 18dB below max output, if i look at this table (from 0,25V to 2V):
Decibel-values-corresponding-to-doubling-and-halving-of-the-voltage-gain..jpg

I would never be able to detect it, since i'm an apartment dweller. :cool:
Oh !!

That makes sense.

So what are my options ? Another piece of equipment?

Am I just wasting my $ if I buy the Amp?

OP
G

Grierts

You would turn your AVR to max and still not reach full power of the amps. Essentially you would be paying for watts you cannot use.
Damn, Sounds Like I am wasting $

Is there any amp I could use? that would provide over 300w @ 8ohms ???

KMO

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The 200mV number will not be the peak output capability - it must be related to the nominal 0dBVU level. Quite a lot of AVRs use 200mV as their "0" point.

That spec isn't telling you how much headroom it has, but if it's like my Denon AVR, whose service manual also has 200mV=0dBVU, there's probably another 20dB on top of that.

Thus I'd reckon on it being what is usually referred to as a 2V (peak RMS) output, so close to what is required, although there is the possibility that like on some Denon amps, you might get some minor distortion at high levels, as the internal amps clip.

I'd say you should be fine - this is a typical AVR. Any power amp with 26-29dB gain, including that VTV, should be compatible.

OP
G

Grierts

Side Note: I am so glad you guys are here. I would be completely lost without you all.

Thank you soooo much !!!!

thulle

But, half the voltage is a quarter of the power. So
The 200mV number will not be the peak output capability - it must be related to the nominal 0dBVU level. Quite a lot of AVRs use 200mV as their "0" point.

That spec isn't telling you how much headroom it has, but if it's like my Denon AVR, whose service manual also has 200mV=0dBVU, there's probably another 20dB on top of that.

So the subwoofer output would be able to output 10 Vrms?

KMO

SO The signal going out of the amp will be roughly 24.64db below max output ??

No. Because you're comparing a peak (0dBFS) value with a nominal analogue 0dBVU value. There's a 20dB offset (roughly) between those zeros.

Last edited:
OP
G

Grierts

No. Because you're comparing a peak (0dBFS) value with a nominal analogue 0dBVU value. There's a 20dB offset between those zeros.
WHEW !!!!

man i feel stupid...

But thanks

KMO

Doing the maths, the NC502MP has 2.35V sensitivity to get 500W into 4 ohm speakers

Or it's 2.77V sensitivity to get 350W into 8 ohm speakers.

If you can output 2V (peak RMS), and that seems most likely, then you would be able to put 360W into 4 ohm, or 180W into 8 ohm.

Looked at another way, you'd be 1.4dB (4 ohm) or 2.8dB (8 ohm) down on the amplifier's peak output. You'd be getting some benefit over the NC252MP, but not the full extra benefit. You benefit more if you have low-impedance speakers.

(NC252MP can do 250W into 4 ohm, or 150W into 8 ohm, and you would be able to fully utilise its power).

thulle

WHEW !!!!

man i feel stupid...

But thanks
What he's saying is that the AVR goes to +20 dB if i understand it correctly, but he hasn't replied on if that would mean that the subwoofer output goes to 10V at +20 dB, as it's specified at 1V instead of the 200mV for the others.

Top Bottom