• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex NC500MP mono build

BklynJjm

HI all,
I'm building a NC500MP mono amp to power a Rel Britannia sub. I'll be using a MiniDSP Flex for crossover and DSP. Amp is almost together but I want to check-in to be sure I understand the singal wiring correctly. On the XLR to Hypex board(J4)connection I'm using shielded microphone cable. Is this the correct wiring?
  • Pin 1 on the XLR to case - close to the XLR,
  • Pin 2 on XLR to pin 2 on H-box,
  • Pin 3 on XLR to pin 1 on H-box,
  • cable shield to case (not the same location as Pin 1),
  • cable shield to Pin 3 on H-box.
Thanks for the help!
BklynJim

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
HI all,
I'm building a NC500MP mono amp to power a Rel Britannia sub. I'll be using a MiniDSP Flex for crossover and DSP. Amp is almost together but I want to check-in to be sure I understand the singal wiring correctly. On the XLR to Hypex board(J4)connection I'm using shielded microphone cable. Is this the correct wiring?
  • Pin 1 on the XLR to case - close to the XLR,
  • Pin 2 on XLR to pin 2 on H-box,
  • Pin 3 on XLR to pin 1 on H-box,
  • cable shield to case (not the same location as Pin 1),
  • cable shield to Pin 3 on H-box.
Thanks for the help!
BklynJim
Looks like your wiring connections follow what are specified in the NC400 datasheet, so they should be correct. (The input signal connector for NC400 is J9).
nc400-2.png

nc400-1.png

nc400-3.png

OP
B

BklynJjm

NTK - thank you for the diagrams and the assurance that I'm on the right track. Wasn't 100% sure on the signal to case. I think I'll use the "extra" ground pin on the Neutrix connector unless I'm told I should make another connection to the case. Not as pretty as a lot of builds here but it should sound good. Thanks again.

OP
B

BklynJjm

Another question for you guys. I bought a cheap case on ebay - the case has is thin aluminum and has "rails" on the bottom. Is that an issue for the heat sink/cooling?
PXL_20220524_233531587.jpg

OP
B

BklynJjm

Well - finally fired up the amp to test it and alas no sound. I hear an audible click when turn the on on which I assume is the amp going from standby to on but no sound is coming through the amp. I checked for any DC on the circuit and only see a few Mv. Anyone have any ideas for what I should test next?
Thanks all.
Jim

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Well - finally fired up the amp to test it and alas no sound. I hear an audible click when turn the on on which I assume is the amp going from standby to on but no sound is coming through the amp. I checked for any DC on the circuit and only see a few Mv. Anyone have any ideas for what I should test next?
Thanks all.
Jim
I am of no help at all. Every DIY project I ever built didn't work until some tech white knight rode in on his horse of experience, and bailed me out.
I don't have the gonads to build DIY stuff anymore. <sigh> :)

SUNIL PUNNOOSE

Hope you have sorted it out, if not you need to connect pin 3 and 9 to wake up the amp from standby

Top Bottom