• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex NC500 Design and Build

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
Late last year I purchased three NC500 modules, and a SMPS3k700 power supply, along with various other parts. I didn't need another amplifier, but you know how it is.

After trying various layouts in the the supplied case I've decided it was too small, and I would be better off getting another case for it. I've normally used cases from diyaudiostore.com, and they've been good, but this time I'm going to design and build my own case from scratch. At the end of the project I will share all the files here in case anyone else is interested.

Everything is designed in SolidWorks, a common CAD package. All the parts are laser cut from 1/8" thick Aluminum Alloy, and can be screwed together using M4 socket head cap screws and square nuts. Using a tap and slot design everything is self aligning. I've used this feature on an assortment of medical product prototypes with no problem.

1644195289988.png

The case will hold four NC500 modules, and will has been designed with a 'blade' design to fit everything in. I will be using each module with a NeuroChrome input buffer. The design is flexible, and less modules can be fitted if desired. The SMPS also attaches to the side panel.
1644195619510.png

Overall height is 100mm (4"), depth is 310mm (12") and width is 430mm (17"). I've also included a cut out for a 80mm fan on the back, but don't think it will be needed (there will also be a custom fan guard over it). Rear connections are for Neutrik XLR input, and SpeakOn outputs. A switched and fused IEC socket is on the rear too, along with an internal grounding stud. I will probably also use a NeuroChrome Intelligent Soft Start so I have triggering, etc.

On the reverse side of each 'blade' there is room for a heatsink if needed. There are also cut outs in the top and bottom panel for ventilation.

1644195798615.png

I've recessed the front panel as it's a false panel. A front decorative panel will fit on the front and hide most of the assembly features.

1644195982477.png

Total cost for the case, making one unit only, will be approx $300. Everything is being made for me by SendCutSend, a laser cutting vendor I've used a bunch of times in the past.

I've only ordered a few parts so far, just to test fits and cable routes. They should be here in a week or so.

So any comments/suggestions. Now is the easiest time to make changes.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Late last year I purchased three NC500 modules, and a SMPS3k700 power supply, along with various other parts. I didn't need another amplifier, but you know how it is.

After trying various layouts in the the supplied case I've decided it was too small, and I would be better off getting another case for it. I've normally used cases from diyaudiostore.com, and they've been good, but this time I'm going to design and build my own case from scratch. At the end of the project I will share all the files here in case anyone else is interested.

Everything is designed in SolidWorks, a common CAD package. All the parts are laser cut from 1/8" thick Aluminum Alloy, and can be screwed together using M4 socket head cap screws and square nuts. Using a tap and slot design everything is self aligning. I've used this feature on an assortment of medical product prototypes with no problem.

View attachment 184725

The case will hold four NC500 modules, and will has been designed with a 'blade' design to fit everything in. I will be using each module with a NeuroChrome input buffer. The design is flexible, and less modules can be fitted if desired. The SMPS also attaches to the side panel.View attachment 184726

Overall height is 100mm (4"), depth is 310mm (12") and width is 430mm (17"). I've also included a cut out for a 80mm fan on the back, but don't think it will be needed (there will also be a custom fan guard over it). Rear connections are for Neutrik XLR input, and SpeakOn outputs. A switched and fused IEC socket is on the rear too, along with an internal grounding stud. I will probably also use a NeuroChrome Intelligent Soft Start so I have triggering, etc.

On the reverse side of each 'blade' there is room for a heatsink if needed. There are also cut outs in the top and bottom panel for ventilation.

View attachment 184727

I've recessed the front panel as it's a false panel. A front decorative panel will fit on the front and hide most of the assembly features.

View attachment 184728

Total cost for the case, making one unit only, will be approx $300. Everything is being made for me by SendCutSend, a laser cutting vendor I've used a bunch of times in the past.

I've only ordered a few parts so far, just to test fits and cable routes. They should be here in a week or so.

So any comments/suggestions. Now is the easiest time to make changes.
Nice work! :D

Wolf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yeah, i think it will be very nice to build with the work you've already put in.

OP
Madjalapeno

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
So today my test parts arrived from SendCutSend, and I just did a test fitting. The holes for mounting the NeuroChrome buffers are a little off, but nothing I can't fix with a needle file.

Apart from that all looks good, so I'll order the base and back next.

IMG_4682.jpeg

IMG_4683.jpeg

IMG_4684.jpeg

They sent me an extra amp plate, which is handy as it will let me experiment with finishes. A trim router with a 1/16" round over bit is a great deburring tool if you don't mind getting showered with small pieces of sharp aluminum.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So today my test parts arrived from SendCutSend, and I just did a test fitting. The holes for mounting the NeuroChrome buffers are a little off, but nothing I can't fix with a needle file.

Apart from that all looks good, so I'll order the base and back next.

View attachment 187342

View attachment 187343

View attachment 187344

They sent me an extra amp plate, which is handy as it will let me experiment with finishes. A trim router with a 1/16" round over bit is a great deburring tool if you don't mind getting showered with small pieces of sharp aluminum.
That's going to be pretty cool when it's all together. :D

julbo

Very nice project! What are the considerations for the fan and airflow? I assume it's mostly going to care of the SMPS, the farthest amp will be the hottest.
Do you plan to add handles, screw in rack panel ?

OP
Madjalapeno

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
Very nice project! What are the considerations for the fan and airflow? I assume it's mostly going to care of the SMPS, the farthest amp will be the hottest.
Do you plan to add handles, screw in rack panel ?
Thanks.

I'm going to see if I need to add airflow. Obviously it would be nicer to just rely on convection (hence the vents above and below each module), but if not I can fit an ultra-quiet fan in there to come on when things get too warm.

Current plan is a nice front cover, probably made from cherry with a French Polish to match all my other builds.

Top Bottom