• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex NC252MP Speaker Amp - Connecting Two Sources

JohnnyN

Hi all,

Hoping for some help. I’m trying to figure out a way to connect two sources to a Hypex NC252MP speaker amp that has only one XLR input and no volume control.

The two sources are: a turntable with RCA outs (Drop + Audio-Technica VTA Carbon Turntable (I just pre-ordered it)) and an iPad (or iPhone) for streaming music.

I have to purchase a DAC in any version of this set-up, preferably with XLR out. Is there a DAC+pre-amp combo with RCA & USB inputs and XLR out?

Also open to separate DAC and pre-amp.

Really open to any suggestions/recommendations for connecting these two sources to the amp. In any version, I’ll need volume control between the turntable and the amp, since the amp does not have volume control.

For context, I’m building a system from scratch for a pretty large living room + dining room area with pretty high ceilings. I’m trying to build a nice system, as it’ll be the sole source of entertainment in these rooms. I’ll be using, for the most part, at least to start, a pair of JBL Studio 530 speakers. The rest of the system I’m building from scratch.

Thank you for your time!

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you are looking for a single chassis solution, that would be a balanced output pre-amp with a built-in DAC. Unfortunately, the ones I am aware of aren't exactly cheap. The Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 seems like a nice unit (review link below). Other options include the Benchmark DAC3 L or HGC.

Otherwise, a Topping Pre90 paired with a balanced output DAC should work well too.

An unconventional (and likely cheaper) choice would be a MiniDSP Flex with balanced output. In Amir's test, there was a penalty of 15 dB degradation in the SINAD (from ~105 dB to 90 dB) by using unbalanced to balanced adapters for the balanced inputs. However, if you are only using it for phono (or "non-critical") duties, the performance should suffice. (Note that the SINAD degradation was mostly due to an increase in the second harmonic distortions. However, the level is still well below audibility. There was no noticeable rise in the noise floor going when using unbalanced input.)

Unfortunately (again), both the Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 and MiniDSP Flex support only one analog input source. An input switcher seems to be a rather clumsy workaround. The Topping Pre90 will need a Ext90 to support 2 RCA sources.

V.b.

You could use a Motu M2 (M4 would give you the ability to use subwoofers later).

MCH

Major Contributor
It is true that dacs with analog inputs are rare and not cheap. I can't think on others than the already mentioned without going into interface territory.

Other cheap solutions are:

- get a rca to spdif ADC (ou don't need sota performance for vinyl). Most dacs will have USB and toslink/coax spdif input, so they will fit your purpose.

- I read your room is large, maybe you would like to go wireless from your turntable? If you want to give it a try, you can stream your turntable signal following this instructions:

Top Bottom