• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex NC252MP gain compatibility question

USER

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Quick question for anyone regarding gain compatibility:

I a strongly considering purchasing a miniDSP Flex to pair with my Hypex NC252MP-based amplifier. (I was able to purchase a module a while back and I fit it into a Ghent case with XLR inputs.) As the Flex is offered in both RCA and balanced options I was wondering which version would work best with the Hypex module's gain setting, which I believe is set to 26dB. Should I go with the 2V RCA or the 4V balanced option?

Thanks.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would go balanced.

Balanced gives better noise immunity and 4 V output gives the ability to compensate for lower level recordings by turning the volume up.

Only thing to note is that assuming you have no boosts applied in the Flex at volume positions above -8 dB it is possible to drive the NC252MP in to clipping, however whether or not you actually clip depends on the level of the recording. As mentioned above for low level recordings you can safely exceed -8 dB and you won't clip.

Michael

Top Bottom