• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex NC252 vs IcePower 125ASX2

tjcinnamon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm looking at a 12 channel HTD DMA-1275 which is an IcePower 125ASX2 which has 27.5dB voltage gain and attenuation knobs and 65W ACD at 8 ohm: https://www.htd.com/DMA-1275

OR a Nord 8 channel Hypex MP NC252 which has 26dB voltage gain, no knobs, and 150W ACD at 8Ohm: https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/product-page/nord-one-nc250mp-4-10-channel-amplifier

This is on surround duty for all of my surrounds which there are 8 but eventually I will get wides and I have some upfiring atmos. So 12 channel is all in one package and has higher voltage gain; Nord looks like a better build quality, more Watts, and XLR which when I get a new AVR in the coming year the voltage gain won't be an issue.

Thoughts on general quality/measurements within the guts ASX vs NC252? I'm going to be running speakers that are about 90dB sensitive.

AudioJester

Forum Donor
Both are "good enough" and allthough the hypex modules may measure better you will likely not notice any audible difference for your intended purpose.

Oh, and I would seriously look at Buckeye over the Nord for hypex.

OP
T

tjcinnamon

Both are "good enough" and allthough the hypex modules may measure better you will likely not notice any audible difference for your intended purpose.

Oh, and I would seriously look at Buckeye over the Nord for hypex.
Absolutely, any particular reason why? You can PM me, if that’s more comfortable

AudioJester

Forum Donor
Significantly cheaper!
However, also depends where you are located, factoring in shipping/duties etc.

OP
T

tjcinnamon

Significantly cheaper!
However, also depends where you are located, factoring in shipping/duties etc.
Very true! I’m not in a hurry but he’s booked out until June!

I’m gonna wait for a new AVR first (at least for now). I’m still paying off my last purchase :)

naviivan

125ASX2 Pros:
  1. cheap to replace when one board fails
  2. Sounds pretty good. I like it over many cheaper Class D amps and A/B amps.
  3. Very good control over the bass.
Cons:
  1. I've had a lot of board fails. Usually it's one channel that goes.
  2. Low input impedance.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
index.php

index.php

Top Bottom