• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex NC1200: Quality of the implementations

OP
maty

maty

Major Contributor
At RF and more, aluminum is the most optimal (cheaper than copper). With a thin layer it is enough.

But the audio world usually works up to 350 kHz (the more fast amplifiers, bandwith) as a commitment to avoid RF problems. And the musical is up to 20-24 kHz (galvanized steel is cheaper an better, only you need to save at least 6 mm to the walls, better 10 mm).

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At RF and more, aluminum is the most optimal (cheaper than copper). With a thin layer it is enough.

But the audio world usually works up to 350 kHz (the more fast amplifiers, bandwith) as a commitment to avoid RF problems. And the musical is up to 20-24 kHz (galvanized steel is cheaper an better, only you need to save at least 6 mm to the walls, better 10 mm).

Have you looked at the switching frequency of the nC1200?

OP
maty

maty

Major Contributor
Nope.

BTW, when I wrote about the 350 kHz I was thinking about faster class AB amps.

BTW 2, there are Würth ferrites that works from 150 kHz (the traditional cheap ferrites only work > 1 Mhz). How much attenuates aluminum at 150 kHz? Very little compared to 1 mm of cheap galvanized steel.

But let us leave the subject, which is already very commented on in this thread. That people buy what they consider relevant. If someone wants to deal more with the matter, better in a new specific thread.

- The End -

OP
maty

maty

Major Contributor
[Spanish] Buffer para Hypex NC1200 V1 (parte II)

https://www.acoustic-technology.com/es/blog-atm/buffer-para-hypex-nc1200-v1-parte-ii

to English:

* https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=es&tl=en&u=https://www.acoustic-technology.com/es/blog-atm/buffer-para-hypex-nc1200-v1-parte-ii

* https://www.translatetheweb.com/?from=&to=en&dl=es&a=https://www.acoustic-technology.com/es/blog-atm/buffer-para-hypex-nc1200-v1-parte-ii#

[ SPECIFIC BUFFER FOR HYPEX NC1200 MODULES (MOUNTING KIT)

We offer our customers a Buffer for the Hypex NC1200 module in kit form, so that the most expert users who already have the Hypex NC1200 power modules, can install them thus improving the sound quality. This Buffer includes SIL994 Enh Ticha operational amplifiers from Sonic Imagery. These operational amplifiers are characterized in that they operate in class A, providing a very warm sound similar to vacuum valves.

The buffer card is ready to be able to insert other operational amplifiers, such as Sonic SIL990 or Sparkoslabs SS2590, used in professional audio and recording studios. The JRC MUSE series, AD and OPA instrumentation series and discrete operational amplifiers can also be used. When carrying a socket, they can be exchanged so that the sound differences between them can be audibly compared. Only dual operational amplifiers (dual amp op) can be inserted into the socket.

The printed circuit board of the buffer has been developed in such a way that it adapts physically to the NC1200 module of Hypex, mounting in the form of a turret so that it does not take up more physical space inside the amplifier, only a few millimeters of elevation. (see photos of the assembly). This board is only valid for the V4 and following of the NC1200 module (currently V6) ... ]

atm-Hypex NC1200-buffer-kit.jpg

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These operational amplifiers are characterized in that they operate in class A, providing a very warm sound similar to vacuum valves.

And other opamps don't operate in class A? If they provide a "warm" sound, it means they add distortion/coloration and/or noise.

OP
maty

maty

Major Contributor
If you want a warm sound, turn off the AC.

I think it must be H2 dominant with monotonously decreasing harmonics.

How much H2? Ideally H3 10-15 dB lower. And no other harmonic (or at 90-100 dB, inaudible).

Nelson Pass lately fixed H2 to -73 dB in DIY class A designs if I am not wrong.

If so, the THD will rise a little, no problema.

Without a graph it is only a conjecture.

Last edited:

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it must be H2 dominant with monotonously decreasing harmonics.

Key word "think".

Without a graph it is only a conjecture.

It all seems to be, anyway. :)

By the way, have you blocked me / put me on "ignore"?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Adding H2 is adding distortion. It might sound "good" to some people because it reminds them of tube gear they owned in 1970. A high noise floor or lack of linearity might remind some people of vinyl and may account for the popularity of the Schiit Yaggi. Then again, if you want that sort of distortion the 25 cent Realtek chip on most motherboards will give it to you.

If I lived in Tarragona I would sit in the park on the cliffs overlooking the sea, listen off a portable rig with earphones, screw the home system and enjoy the Spanish life when not going to language lessons.

OP
maty

maty

Major Contributor
Off topic

New and cheap class AB with this NP harmonic profile (well, H2 at -73 dB).

[Polish] https://audio.com.pl/testy/stereo/wzmacniacze-stereo/3078-denon-pma-800ne

Optimized

Denon-PMA-800NE-harmonic-graph.png

Denon-PMA-800NE-THD-graph.png

BTW, I think this cheap Denon is much better idea than a cheap chinese tube amp. Maybe with some tweaks/mods...

BTW two, I suspect that the Polish site does not measure well the THD. I sent an email commenting the possibility more than two months ago, with links to other pages that gave different values in the last AVR and I remain unanswered (the same situation from Nord).

- End off topic -

Last edited:

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
ATM buffer and Nord's rev D, although it is interesting to have the flexibility of running both sizes of opamps, in practice I guess no one would choose to run the smaller one since the bigger models are said to be better measuring and sounding.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ATM buffer and Nord's rev D, although it is interesting to have the flexibility of running both sizes of opamps, in practice I guess no one would choose to run the smaller one since the bigger models are said to be better measuring and sounding.

"said"...

OP
maty

maty

Major Contributor
Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Wait, did Thomas say something? :D

Re. bandwidth: To achieve 0.1 dB flatness at 20 kHz in a first-order system requires about 131 kHz (if I did the math right, no guarantees) so I suspect a lot of DACs and fair number of amps have that much bandwidth. Not sure it is really needed, however, as most of us are far more rolled-off at 20 kHz.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Re. bandwidth: To achieve 0.1 dB flatness at 20 kHz in a first-order system requires about 131 kHz (if I did the math right, no guarantees) so I suspect a lot of DACs and fair number of amps have that much bandwidth. Not sure it is really needed, however, as most of us are far more rolled-off at 20 kHz.

Why would you do first order?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Why would you do first order?

It's just an example to show what sort of bandwidth is needed for 0.1 dB flatness and I'm not sure (though have not calculated it) it changes much with higher orders. Last time I looked, ages ago, most amps looked first-order at that point (20 kHz) but shifted later to steeper roll-off as more poles kicked in. Class D amps usually have at least a second-order filter at the output to help suppress the switching artifacts.

Real reason: I'm heading into hour ten at work, waiting on a test to finish, and got bored so decided to post something.

Excessive bandwidth is not a good thing for most systems but this is audio where "more" must always be "better", eh? :)

Last edited:

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Excessive bandwidth is not a good thing for most systems but this is audio where "more" must always be "better", eh? :)

Only if you are a dog or a bat named Eric. :)

Top Bottom