• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex NC1200: Quality of the implementations

charbug

I was wondering if there is a variant of the Hypex NC1200 that would be good to use on a large sub, like the Klipsch KPT1802

FREQUENCY RESPONSE1 (+/- 3 dB) 26Hz-240Hz +/- 3dB (-10dB @ 21Hz)
POWER HANDLING2 1100 watts (71V) 4400 watts peak
MAXIMUM SPL3 130 dB Continuous 136 dB Peak SENSITIVITY4 102dB
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 6 ohms (4.5 min. @ 100Hz)
COMPONENTS One K-473 18” woofer with 4” voice coil
RECOMMENDED MINIMUM AMPLIFIER POWER KPT-1802-HLS AMP POWER RATING 2200 watts into 4 ohms

I am presently using an old Crown Studio Reference II amp that I am running in bridge mono. The amp really does great except when the fan kicks on. It is loud and I sent the amp back to AE Techron Crown Amplifier Service Center last year for a new fan and it did not help.
So I am looking at an upgrade replacement amp that will do everything the old crown will do and better and is quiet

Attachments

• Crown.JPG
    Crown.JPG
    177.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 1802.JPG
    1802.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 80

Valhalla

I was wondering if there is a variant of the Hypex NC1200 that would be good to use on a large sub, like the Klipsch KPT1802

FREQUENCY RESPONSE1 (+/- 3 dB) 26Hz-240Hz +/- 3dB (-10dB @ 21Hz)
POWER HANDLING2 1100 watts (71V) 4400 watts peak
MAXIMUM SPL3 130 dB Continuous 136 dB Peak SENSITIVITY4 102dB
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 6 ohms (4.5 min. @ 100Hz)
COMPONENTS One K-473 18” woofer with 4” voice coil
RECOMMENDED MINIMUM AMPLIFIER POWER KPT-1802-HLS AMP POWER RATING 2200 watts into 4 ohms

I am presently using an old Crown Studio Reference II amp that I am running in bridge mono. The amp really does great except when the fan kicks on. It is loud and I sent the amp back to AE Techron Crown Amplifier Service Center last year for a new fan and it did not help.
So I am looking at an upgrade replacement amp that will do everything the old crown will do and better and is quiet

Hypex NC2K would do the job flawlessly:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Where can I buy a solid implementation of the NC2K?
Here is its review in all its glory.

charbug

That is awesome specs! Does anyone in the states produce a quality NC2K? If you order from apollon how long to get one to your door? I have never had a class D amp, I wonder sonically how it will compare to the old school crown? That crown handles that 18" driver with ease

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Tom C

Major Contributor
this is our humble nc1200 monos for Iran local market. nothing remarkable, everything is Hypex nothing else. the chassis is machined out of a single piece of 7075 aluminum billet. Hard anodized finish. it's probably the most affordable ever cause Iran is a poor hellhole with low currency value. :-(

That looks like a very interesting build. Quite attractive design. Is it available for sale to the public?

lewis

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
sonically this won't do anything for a subwoofer, would it?
For home theater, definitely not - at those frequencies you won't notice or care about the ultra low distortion offered by the Hypex - it costs a premium for that virtue. Even if 5% distortion in a rumbling explosion between 20hz and 50hz was audible if you compared it head to head with a lower distortion amp, would it matter?

Tom C

Major Contributor
The Apollon flagship looks like the best layout and chassis design, which I would expect to be important, since the heat generated, particularly by the power supply, has been reported by owners as being significant.
However, as I am in USA, VTV is the better option. Although it is a hot looking mess, I can buy two, have one burn out, and still have one completely unused unit to ride to self destruction, and still be money ahead vs. that gorgeous Apollon flagship.

Top Bottom