• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

hypex, i need a end game amp

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Hey, hello
the chain is burson cv2+ dac/ pre amp /headphone amp -> nad c355 -> kef r300

Im a bit in trouble because my amp is clipping at low impedances with my kefs which are min 3.2ohm, my nad are 4~8ohm

I readed a lot of thing, but i saw some bad things, for example hypex amp explodes out of warranty, another said they are bad above 5KHZ because hypex claim that fact (??)

My amp is clipping at 90hz-130hz because of the impedance at 55% volume knob and i can't use my speakers properly but they work fine lower that 55% and i wanna EQ them, i don't wanna HUMS ( i saw some hypex amp with hums, sadly schiit vidar too )

Another guy that review the NORD NC500 MONO said that they are bright; the NC500 arent' the MP series so the nc500 mono have a nord power supply or something, maybe a bad/fail design ?, he have experience with hypex, idk.

Another thing is hypex claim that the amp continous power is 100w i tought these specs:
2x350W @ 8Ω
2x500W @ 4Ω
2x450W @ 2Ω
Was continuous... but these are burst? im confusing, never hear a hypex amp
I found interesting these amp
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...tereo-class-d-ncore-2x500w-4-ohm-p-15016.html
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...s-d-amplifier-2x500w-4-ohm-ncore-p-13344.html
( this are 2 amp for 2 channel, why not 8 biding post ? )
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...reo-amplifier-ncore-2x250w-4-ohm-p-14278.html

Apparently the hypex are superior to everything at normal prices (?)
I don't wanna clipping, hums, just pure clean neutral amplification without any problem, also they sound better to my old nad.. i think...

Ty

PD: I can't test any of them, im a blind buyer
pd2: wrong section :/, please mods move my post

Last edited:

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Hypex works perfectly fine over 5khz, and you get the music power that it says on the box. They're also perfectly happy with low ohm loads.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
B

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
if im correct the 502mp have his their own power supply, so they can't perform different than what is expect, it's only the nord case, right?

This one isn't that good
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-and-measurements-of-nord-one-nc500-amp.7704/

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
OP
B

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
How specifically isn't it "that good"? Good SINAD and 2x270W in 8ohm with ultralow THD?
1611515468930.png

The peak at 2k, i saw some hypex with clean 130dB

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I highly doubt that will be audible, and the unit tested was also an older model than the one currently being sold so may have been resolved as well. But yes, there may be even better implementations.

OP
B

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
I highly doubt that will be audible, and the unit tested was also an older model than the one currently being sold so may have been resolved as well. But yes, there may be even better implementations.
The new one is fine? i mean the NORD NC502MP is what i need, no HUMS, right?
hope that one have better implemented because it's a good price..

-------------------------------

What is the difference between the normal and the Special one? xD
https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/product-page/nord-one-se-mp-nc500-stereo-power-amp-in-silver
only a little more price, i believe it's only the case

can i connect a sub to the nord?

Last edited:
OP
B

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
I saw a some posting about the hypex amp are buzzing and its normal
Hmm that is normal? xD i mean my nad doesn't produce any weird sound while is working...

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
OP
B

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Are you concerned that you will hear 1/1000th of a percent 2nd harmonic distortion?

I know, but they could do better with that, also the blue channel look weird, the measurements already said they can do better implementation.
Another thing is the guy that said the unit sound a bit weird in comparison with another hypex implementation, i'm not gonna trust that but i don't wanna pay with my money for that..

The guy above said they have a newer unit, im in process to think my buying
The nord nc502mp special look very good to me, also Matias have the 502MP and apparently is fine with the unit.
Anyone have the NC502MP too?

I wanna a well implemented amp, im not gonna buy another amp for maybe 5 years...,, this is a heavy buy for me, also the taxes and ship to my country are very expensive i can't send the unit back.

NC502MP Looks better than Schiit Vidar which is my another option, i don't know what else can be similar
Ty

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I wanna a well implemented amp, im not gonna buy another amp for maybe 5 years...,, this is a heavy buy for me, also the taxes and ship to my country are very expensive i can't send the unit back.

What country is that? There might be better options than getting something from the US. And if not better at least a few more other options.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m guessing then it won’t matter where you get the amp from. There are some UK and French companies that make Hypex MP based amps as well. Performance of all of these should be quite comparable.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 108171

The peak at 2k, i saw some hypex with clean 130dB

How loud do you listen? And what's the noise floor in your room?

IMO, idea that you might hear something 95dB below your maximum listening level, even without any signal present, seems highly unlikely. Taking into account auditory masking, the possibility of hearing spuriae at that level is virtually nonexistent.

Top Bottom