• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex DSP plate amplifiers?

Dirk Wright

Has anyone used or tested the Hypex DSP plate amps (the Fusion line in particular)? I've used the miniDSP plate amps but my loudspeakers have high sensitivity so the noise from them is a bit annoying, though it is completely masked by the music. I have not tried any of the Hypex line, and I don't know much about them. I did a search and they don't seem to be mentioned here.
Thanks.
https://www.hypex.nl/plate-amplifiers/

OP
D

Dirk Wright

I've used these from miniDSP on 99dB sensitive loudspeaker and I get audible noise. It's not so bad that I can't listen to it, but it sure would be nice to have none at all. Hence, I have an interest in these Hypex plate amps but don't know if they are as good as the Hypex modules you've tested on this website. https://www.minidsp.com/products/plate-amplifiers/pwr-ice125

OP
D

Dirk Wright

Thanks. I'm talking to them on DIY Audio. They agree that there is a noise problem with these plate amps when used with high sensitivity drivers. I connected up a DE250 + horn to a miniDSP plate amp and got a mild hiss. Not bad, and better than the 125 miniDSP plate amps I have in my living room. One person suggested that the DSP board was the source of the noise, but that the plate amps themselves should be quiet enough. I dunno myself. I wish someone made a DSP plate amp with low noise and lower power for horn enthusiasts.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Hypex FA specs here. SNR is ok but gain must be quite high. L-pad attenuation might be a good idea for compression drivers.
Manual downloadable at website (accept cookies) https://www.hypex.nl/plate-amplifiers/

hypex fa specs.png

Last edited:
OP
D

Dirk Wright

yes, I saw that, thanks. I think now that I want to put a product together that includes a custom plate amp using the Hypex parts. I have an OEM account with them now.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Look at the NC100HF for your compression driver. With less power & the same (30uV) noise specs, it wouldn't seem better than the other Ncores, but it has 6dB less gain (20dB v. 26). And you're really interested in 0-10W, not absolute dynamic range or SNR.

OP
D

Dirk Wright

Yes, thanks. That's part of the plan. I'm going to develop my own plate amp, directed at speakers with high sensitivity.

headshake

Sure. What did you end up doing for your custom plate amp?
Thanks. I'm talking to them on DIY Audio. They agree that there is a noise problem with these plate amps when used with high sensitivity drivers. /QUOTE]
Sounds like channel 1 is the problem from the bench test. So maybe ch1 should be only for the woofer? I'm just guessing.

OP
D

Dirk Wright

Sure. What did you end up doing for your custom plate amp?
Sounds like channel 1 is the problem from the bench test. So maybe ch1 should be only for the woofer? I'm just guessing.

I have't done anything yet, but I hope to some time this year. One channel will have the lower power, lower gain and lower noise amp for tweeters, and the second amp will have more power for woofers. I am hoping that Hypex's DSP section is more quiet than the one miniDSP makes. The tests in the reference above certainly make me hopeful. It's really not hard to make a plate amp. It's just 1/8" thick aluminum with holes in the right places, as well as some kind of engraving/labeling. Based on preliminary information on their products, I think my custom Hypex amp will be pretty small also. Thanks so much for asking.

Top Bottom