• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex DIY Preamplifier Kit Review

Rate this preamplifier and headphone amp:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 45 20.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 86 38.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 89 39.9%

• Total voters

PeteL

Major Contributor
1) Of course the RME is a stereo only DAC, that's where this particular users issues start, selecting the wrong product for what he wants to accomplish (running a 2.x setup).
2) And of course miniDSP can provide the analog outputs he needs, and is what I first suggested (i.e. a tool that actually accomplishes his goal, which he said did not exist).
3) The user insisted he wanted to use the "better" DAC's that RME has. So I suggested the all digital miniDSP solution, and he is free to add whatever DAC's he wants to use (or use the other suggestion I made, use a analog/digital output miniDSP solution, run the mains off his RME DAC and miniDSP analog out to his subs).

Anyways time to move back on topic, and away from this pretty elementary way to get a 2.x system that includes the RME DAC the user wants to use. This Hypex product will never be what is needed if he is insistent on using his RME DAC (which doesn't even have analog inputs).
Not sure I still fully understand but anyway, there's no way around this, If he wants to use digital crossover, he'll need to have more than 2 channels of digital to analog conversion The Digital DSP solution that you suggested don't provide that, It don't work. The mini DSP solution that contain ADCs and DACs would work, but that is not what you proposed and he specifically said that he would like equal to RME specs and measurments, however if it matters or not is an other question. But in all case, there are no mini DSP solutions that would not render his RME DAC irrelevant.
His best bet, in the case that he mentioned which is simply 1 USB source and no other, and the need for multi out, is as Sokei proposed is combining a software based DSP and crossover to a multi channel DAC. No miniDSP products add anything to the table in this specific case.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
at the price point and performance -would using/building a patchbay be a solution to add'l inputs?...
just spitballing here...
You lose remote control of that switching then. My current amp lets me switch inputs and volume controls with the remote. I can't go backward in that regard with a new unit.

My hope is that one option card is another set of XLR inputs.

hmt

Nice performance, but what exactly is this for?
No digital inputs, not enough inputs for a preamp, headphone amp … I can‘t really see where this would fit into a system. If it came with phono in and DAC or several more balanced and/or unbalanced inputs, an actual sub-out or a DSP I’d understand, but as it is it seems rather pointless for most people.
It has a low SINAD. That’s all what it is useful for. Maybe they add digital in and a dac plus DSP later. That would give it some use.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That one is a good and solid choice. When I was looking for stereo pre amps, this one made to the top 3 of my list but due the lack of HT Bypass, I decided to go with the Parasaound Halo P6 and I have zero regrets. The P6 with analog bass management and full HT Bypass with dual independent subwoofer in/out is hard to pass when looking for a stereo pre amp.

View attachment 276832
You have some nice equipment, I've noticed.

da Choge

Forum Donor
The P6 with analog bass management and full HT Bypass with dual independent subwoofer in/out is hard to pass when looking for a stereo pre amp.
Sorry for the OT, but the Parasound Halo P6 is one great and robust preamp! Looking forward to their P8 release (maybe in the 2nd half of this year?). It's going to have another subwoofer XLR output, improved volume control?, etc, and, I'm hoping, maybe even better specs? We shall see. I've always loved the Parasound Halos' looks/esthetics.

Last edited:

thecheapseats

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You lose remote control of that switching then. My current amp lets me switch inputs and volume controls with the remote. I can't go backward in that regard with a new unit.

My hope is that one option card is another set of XLR inputs.
I get it - yes - add'l xlrf(s) with remote enabled relay-switching would be perfect... it seems my solutions from 'the cheapseats' persist into old age here... early habits, die hard... the specs are sooo good though...

Last edited:

thecheapseats

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You can use the EQ in ADI-2/4 Pro SE (four output channels) as a crossover for subs.
most notably, retasking those two connectors to add'l i/o channels 3 and 4 on the 2/4 Pro is what makes it so appealing compared to the previous model... RME was listening to customers, it seems...

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I wish this could eventually turn into AVR territory...

Scytales

Forum Donor
Are there scratches on the front plate ?

DIY Audio Hypex Preamplifier_comment.jpg

Is the front finishes that fragile ?

If it is the case, a general comment or informations about the overall quality of the hardware would be a welcome addition to the review.

JktHifi

Are there scratches on the front plate ?

View attachment 276996

Is the front finishes that fragile ?

If it is the case, a general comment or informations about the overall quality of the hardware would be a welcome addition to the review.
Most of the DIY problem is the case. Casing is not well designed because it’s DIY (Design It Yourself)

Trell

Major Contributor
1) Of course the RME is a stereo only DAC, that's where this particular users issues start, selecting the wrong product for what he wants to accomplish (running a 2.x setup).
As an alternative, I’ve Genelec monitors and subwoofer so any stereo DAC works fine in such a setup as the bass management is handled by them.

Trell

Major Contributor
most notably, retasking those two connectors to add'l i/o channels 3 and 4 on the 2/4 Pro is what makes it so appealing compared to the previous model... RME was listening to customers, it seems...
There is no bass management in that RME device, and it’s intended for the pro audio market.

And yes, they where listening to the customers when they decided the feature set.

Skeeter

I have only unbalanced inputs (6 off) two unbalanced outputs, one unbalanced record output and one balanced output on my preamp. The balanced input thing is overrated IMV. The 193 mW into 32 ohms is disappointing - there are lots of nice driver chips that are capable of 5 or 10x that power level.

PeteL

Major Contributor
There is no bass management in that RME device, and it’s intended for the pro audio market.

And yes, they where listening to the customers when they decided the feature set.
It depends on the bass management you need. It's still more powerful than the generic variable low pass that is included on most powered subs, a parametric EQ will still be able to tame room standing waves and help with cancellations. Sure something all automatic like Dirac is nice but you know, You can get quite decent results with a process that are a little more involved. We are just talking stereo stuff, not rocket science and not full blown Atmos type 9.x surround system, for many really you don't really need more.

RenSong

On the other hand the same money gets you this:

View attachment 276801

No comparison really and if the 0.004% THD (not N) is true,good enough for everything.
I just bought one of these last week. It's phenomenal and looks quite snazzy. The dac is not to my taste though, only used for gaming and TV.

The remote is very standard and plastic, relay clicks with signal change and input change, tons of menu options. Only quibble has been the remote.

Last edited:

Scrivs

Forum Donor
I still can’t get past the four-figure asking price given its limited functionality.
As to future add-on cards, the idea of it’s price ballooning with said cards makes this “diy” (assembly, ikea style without pricing reflected as such) beyond a non-starter for myself.

All my power amps are Ncore self-assembled affairs, that I’m quite satisfied with, so my opinion isn’t anti-Hypex, it’s more anti money-grab for those so enamored with the brand that they fail to truly understand what they’re getting (or not) for such a princely sum.

Thank you to Mr. Putzeys, et. al for setting the standard with first UCD, then Ncore. However, the money-grab with this one is painfully obvious, and unbecoming.

In many ways, the antithesis of DIY.

Just one man’s opinion

Top Bottom