• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex DIY Preamplifier Kit Review

Rate this preamplifier and headphone amp:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 45 20.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 86 38.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 89 39.9%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Hypex DIY balanced Preamplifier and headphone amplifier Kit. It was sent by the company and kindly assembled by @Rick Sykora. It costs € 1.225,00 excl. VAT (US $1,331).
DIY Audio Hypex Preamplifier Balanced Headphone Amplifier Review.jpg

I very much like the larger form factor here and especially the very large graphical display. Alas, as you see, very small fonts are used to show the input and volume level. On power up you see a massive logo of the company and I expected to see that here. Good news is that the display and operation is quite responsive. A remote control is provided in addition to rich set of capabilities as far as renaming inputs, setting gain, balance, etc. Back panel configuration seemed puzzling to me:
DIY Audio Hypex Preamplifier Balanced Headphone Amplifier back panel Review.jpg

I had to read the manual to confirm that there are two XLR outputs but only one input! Seems backward to me. What is the use for dual set of XLR outputs? In my system I have two XLR sources so this rules it out for my own configuration. There is RCA to balanced configuration although some would want to see RCA output as well.

The right blank cover is interesting as the company talks about DAC, phono stage, streamer and even some kind of EQ capability to go there!

Digital volume control is provided and reassuring set of relays click when changing inputs.

Let's see how it measures.

DIY ClassD Preamplifier Measurements
I started with XLR in/out and adjusted the volume to get unity gain:
DIY Audio Hypex Preamplifier Balanced Measurements.png

This is most excellent with vanishingly low distortion at -140 dB! Some noise pulls SINAD down to still a transparent value of 119 dB. Switching to RCA input with 2 volts in, costs you a few dBs but still transparent:
DIY Audio Hypex Preamplifier RCA In Measurements.png

Noise performance is excellent:
DIY Audio Hypex Preamplifier Balanced SNR Measurements.png

Frequency response is very extended and ruler flat in audible band:
DIY Audio Hypex Preamplifier Balanced Frequency Response Measurements.png

Crosstalk is near state of the art:
DIY Audio Hypex Preamplifier Balanced Crosstalk Measurements.png

IMD graph shows slightly higher noise than best there is but still excellent:
DIY Audio Hypex Preamplifier Balanced IMD Measurements.png

Similarly to what we see as far as distortion relative to frequency:
DIY Audio Hypex Preamplifier Balanced THD vs frequency Measurements.png

And level:
DIY Audio Hypex Preamplifier Balanced THD vs Level Measurements.png

Hypex DIY Preamplifier Headphone Measurements
Let's start with our unity gain dashboard measurements:
DIY Audio Hypex Preamplifier Balanced Headphone Amplifier Measurements.png

This is excellent performance and good attempt at getting into the room with best of the best:
best headphone amplifier review balanced.png

SNR is not as good as it could be because there is no low/negative gain mode to reduce noise:
DIY Audio Hypex Preamplifier Balanced Headphone Amplifier SNR Measurements.png

This only impacts very sensitive IEMs though:
most quiet headphone amplifier review.png

Other the aforementioned slight noise penalty, the level of output with 300 ohm load is very good:
DIY Audio Hypex Preamplifier Balanced Headphone Amplifier Power into 300 ohm Measurements.png

I like to see minimum of 100 milliwatts which we have. Then again, for desktop products, we are used to 300+ milliwatts.

I was surprised to see a less competitive showing with 32 ohm load:
DIY Audio Hypex Preamplifier Balanced Headphone Amplifier Power into 32 ohm Measurements.png

We are current limited as we see better in this graph:
DIY Audio Hypex Preamplifier Balanced Headphone Amplifier  power vs impedance Measurements.png

I expected to see a "checklist" headphone amp but this performance is a lot better especially if you use high impedance headphones.

Hypex DIY Preamplifier Listening Tests
I drove the unit using RME ADI-2 Pro balanced output and listening using Sennheiser HD650. The experience was superb with excellent detail and dynamics. There was plenty of volume, capable of getting good bass out of this headphone. As measurements predict, switching to my everyday Dan Clark Stealth headphone resulted in static and distortion at anything but very mild volume level. Really not useful with this power hungry headphone.

Conclusions
We are used to seeing power amplifiers from Hypex. It is nice to see them get into preamplifiers by producing a unit with exceptionally low distortion and quite competitive noise performance. I like the large form factor and display but wish the company revises the firmware to show larger text for input and volume level. Having two balanced output at the expensive of another balanced input doesn't make sense to me but maybe one of you will enlighten me.

I expected the headphone amp to be as we say in the industry, "phoned in," but it actually turned in very good performance for high impedance headphones. It should also be OK with lower impedance headphones as long as they are sensitive.

I am happy to put the Hypex DIY Preamplifier and Headphone Amp Kit on my recommended list. Look forward to new option cards for it!

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Having two balanced output at the expensive of another balanced input doesn't make sense to me

A quick search revealed potential future add-ons such as DAC, phono stage, etc. (that panel on the back might explain it). Could the dual outputs be to support active crossover configurations like the miniDsp units? With streaming, maybe people don't need that many inputs anymore in a stereo setup, especially if a DAC add-on has USB, Toslink, etc. as inputs.

CrustyToad

Forum Donor
A quick search revealed potential future add-ons such as DAC, phono stage, etc. (that panel on the back might explain it). Could the dual outputs be to support active crossover configurations like the miniDsp units? With streaming, maybe people don't need that many inputs anymore in a stereo setup, especially if a DAC add-on has USB, Toslink, etc. as inputs.
That makes a lot of sense

Thank amir for the review. Interesting to see different products from Hypex and curious how this one will evolve

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
A preamp with only one (XLR) Input???

You got to be kidding (April fools is over or did Amir post this before midnight local time).

No thanks, not even for free, regardless how it measures.

I mean the whole point of preamps is pretty much to bring various sources together and switch between them. In this case I just connect the DAC to the power amp and be done with.

Last edited:

TabCam

Is it that difficult to imagine other use cases? I can imagine setups with active subwoofers where such outputs would be welcomed. Most people would rather have more inputs but that would probably introduce more noise. Hypex made another choice.

3125b

Major Contributor
Nice performance, but what exactly is this for?
No digital inputs, not enough inputs for a preamp, headphone amp … I can‘t really see where this would fit into a system. If it came with phono in and DAC or several more balanced and/or unbalanced inputs, an actual sub-out or a DSP I’d understand, but as it is it seems rather pointless for most people.

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
A preamp with only one (XLR) Input???

You got to be kidding (April fools is over or did Amir post this before midnight local time).

No thanks, not even for free, regardless how it measures.

I mean the whole point of preamps is pretty much to bring various sources together and switch between them. In this case I just connect the DAC to the power amp and be done with.

Nice performance, but what exactly is this for?
No digital inputs, not enough inputs for a preamp, headphone amp … I can‘t really see where this would fit into a system. If it came with phono in and DAC or several more balanced and/or unbalanced inputs, an actual sub-out or a DSP I’d understand, but as it is it seems rather pointless for most people.
The small detail is not completely unimportant, so to speak.;)
That's the whole point of a pre amp, being able to plug in different sources.

Amir:
The right blank cover is interesting as the company talks about DAC, phono stage, streamer and even some kind of EQ capability to go there!
How, what, que?

Exactly what I'm wondering about too.

JktHifi

Expensive white PCB. Good headphone amp from the flying dutchman.
2 XLR outputs simulaneously is rare.
I cast vote number 4

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
Interesting, aesthetically fine... but expensive, especially for self-assembly. Excellent test results though (@amirm), no issues with being transparent to the source.

Power-board-fitted-Hypex-Preamp.jpeg

Inside-view-of-main-board-Hypex-Preamp.jpeg

Rear-view-of-display-board-fitted-Hypex-Preamp.jpeg

Inside-view-of-wires-in-place-Hypex-Preamp.jpeg

How, what, que?
Future add-on options:
• DAC (Exp: Q4 2023)
• DIGin (AES, SPDIF, Optical, USB, Bluetooth, Streamer) (Exp: Q4 2023)
• Fusion Connect (Optimized Master Functionality for Fusion Amps) (Exp: Q4 2023)
• Phono stage (Exp: 2024)
• Equalizer (Exp: TBD)

JSmith

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
marked it down due to ugly appearance especially the hideous blue display screen.
Display is white. For some reason the white balance on my camera throws that off and shows it as blue....

Top Bottom