• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex Announces New and Improved NCOREx Class-D Amplifier Technology

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Vacceo

Major Contributor
which manufacturer ?
("NC500" is not the same as "NCx500" with "improved NCOREx® technology")
McIntosh. My guess is that the more recent version will sound basically the same but will run a bit cooler.

Last edited:
OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Approx. same price as Purify designs, so why should we consider this option?
Because NCoreX is competitive in performance and power to Purifi's higher power module.

delta76

Major Contributor
Approx. same price as Purify designs, so why should we consider this option?
competition is always good. previously hypex is always considered to be of lower tier (performance/price) compared to purifi. now it means either purifi needs to be cheaper, or get better, because you have other choices in that price range

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So in case you dont require higher power than a standard Purify modul, then not?
Then there is also Hypex Nilai500 DIY to compete with EVAL-1 from Purifi.

Agreed, competition is good!

IMG_20221218_144721.jpg

Vacceo

Major Contributor
There have been mentions in this thread that these new modules may not be as "swap in" friendly as the seem.

Have you guys confirmed if they can be used to upgrade already existing Hypex-based amps?

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There have been mentions in this thread that these new modules may not be as "swap in" friendly as they seem.

Have you guys confirmed if they can be used to upgrade already existing Hypex-based amps?

All I stated earlier is still accurate...

I can only offer that the NcoreX 500 module is compatible with the original NC500 eval board. Beyond that, it is dependent on the buffer board implementation and would be specific to how the amplifier vendor implemented. In some quick ad-hoc testing, actually got somewhat less power from the NcoreX at 4 ohms than the NC500. This was gain matched setup and made no change to the NC500 eval board. The NcoreX buffers were disabled and not sure how the regulation was done.

If you have specific questions, would email Hypex support or the amp vendor.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
All I stated earlier is still accurate...

I can only offer that the NcoreX 500 module is compatible with the original NC500 eval board. Beyond that, it is dependent on the buffer board implementation and would be specific to how the amplifier vendor implemented. In some quick ad-hoc testing, actually got somewhat less power from the NcoreX at 4 ohms than the NC500. This was gain matched setup and made no change to the NC500 eval board. The NcoreX buffers were disabled and not sure how the regulation was done.

If you have specific questions, would email Hypex support or the amp vendor.
First of all, thanks for the clarification!

I´m thinking about an "upgrade and forget" path for my amplification and Hypex modules are a great way to just be sure that I can discard the amp as a factor. My only worry was the NC500 modules being phased out, so capacity to repair is a concern. I might as well wait a bit for the new modules to be adopted, though.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
First of all, thanks for the clarification!

I´m thinking about an "upgrade and forget" path for my amplification and Hypex modules are a great way to just be sure that I can discard the amp as a factor. My only worry was the NC500 modules being phased out, so capacity to repair is a concern. I might as well wait a bit for the new modules to be adopted, though.
Maybe get the new Nilai500 DIY amps from Hypex? They have started shipping, just released.

ozlegend

Audio Company
Over the Christmas/New Year break I built 4 channels of the NCx500 modules with 2 SMPS1200 kindly supplied to me by excellent service as usual from Hypex sales.

As the attached photo shows I did not use the evaluation boards but soldered directly to the NCx500 36-pin connector partly because I did not have space and partly because I wanted to hear the NCx500 boards directly – it was something I had done 8 years ago with the original NC500 boards though would not recommend it to everyone. I also used the buffer circuit built onto the NCx500 board even though it can easily be bypassed by switching some jumper pins. Being hard-wired I did use any software control.

To cut a long story short I was very impressed by the sound quality not only compared to the NC502MP modules I had used previously (and kept one in place on RHS for bass drivers of my 3-way DEQX-active speakers) but also in absolute terms I now feel I have an amplifier that can compete with the best with extraordinary clarity/resolution, tonal balance and speed/PRaT and can forget about the amplifier when designing loudspeakers.

NCx500s + NC502 reduced V2.jpg

The long story can be found at www.facebook.com/legendspeakers

Newman

Major Contributor
I was very impressed by the sound quality not only compared to the NC502MP modules I had used previously
Hi, on what basis did you determine that the NCx is audibly superior to the NC?

ozlegend

Audio Company
Hi, on what basis did you determine that the NCx is audibly superior to the NC?
Purely subjective - based on a lot of listening experience including designing loudspeakers at Linn in Glasgow the mid-late 1980s and then for Legend Acoustics since.
If you go to my FB link you will see that I think the NCx500 are superior to the NC500MP that are superior to the NC500.
However like all subjective things it depends on the observer so others may find differently.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Over the Christmas/New Year break I built 4 channels of the NCx500 modules with 2 SMPS1200 kindly supplied to me by excellent service as usual from Hypex sales.

As the attached photo shows I did not use the evaluation boards but soldered directly to the NCx500 36-pin connector partly because I did not have space and partly because I wanted to hear the NCx500 boards directly – it was something I had done 8 years ago with the original NC500 boards though would not recommend it to everyone. I also used the buffer circuit built onto the NCx500 board even though it can easily be bypassed by switching some jumper pins. Being hard-wired I did use any software control.

To cut a long story short I was very impressed by the sound quality not only compared to the NC502MP modules I had used previously (and kept one in place on RHS for bass drivers of my 3-way DEQX-active speakers) but also in absolute terms I now feel I have an amplifier that can compete with the best with extraordinary clarity/resolution, tonal balance and speed/PRaT and can forget about the amplifier when designing loudspeakers.

View attachment 254115

The long story can be found at www.facebook.com/legendspeakers
Hi @ozlegend and Welcome Aboard,

Do you represent “Legend Speakers” and/or have any Commercial associations with them? If so, please send me a PM further expounding on your association with this speaker manufacturer.

Thank you for your cooperation and support.

ozlegend

Audio Company
Hi @ozlegend and Welcome Aboard,

Do you represent “Legend Speakers” and/or have any Commercial associations with them? If so, please send me a PM further expounding on your association with this speaker manufacturer.

Thank you for your cooperation and support.
I sent you the requested PM a few hours ago.

Top Bottom