• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex Announces New and Improved NCOREx Class-D Amplifier Technology

Ornette

They all use modules from Hypex, so as far as I can understand this should be universal across manufacturers. Hypex modules are typically stable to 2ohm and even less.
I believe NAD licenses the intellectual property from Hypex (and Purifi), and then builds their own modules. Differences in specification from the stock units are thus plausible.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I believe NAD licenses the intellectual property from Hypex (and Purifi), and then builds their own modules. Differences in specification from the stock units are thus plausible.

Okay, I wasn't aware of that. Then I can't speak for those. :)

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought they only build their own buffers and used the stock Purifi modules.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, color me surprised.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hypex said it is pin compatible with the former NC500 OEM, but since they don't sell these modules directly, I suppose users have to buy them through the manufacturer of their amplifiers, right @Hypexsales ?

@Hypexsales is out of office but had asked about the pin compatibility previously. While (electrically) true, it is not the whole story. If the OEM used the NC500 in software mode (likely), the NCx500 is not compatible. Am awaiting a data sheet that might indicate specifically why. There are also some other considerations (like buffering and voltage regulation) but these are more considerations than compatibility concerns.

P.S. One way to get better compatibility is to use hardware mode. Am using currently to allow me to have one fixture that can test NC500, 1ET400A or NCx500 amp modules. EDIT: Thought I would add that the Purifi is only compatible in hardware mode as well AND they use different mount points than the comparable Hypex modules do too.

Last edited:

Lomako

The M23 employs Eigentakt™ class-D amplifier modules manufactured by NAD under license from Denmark’s Purifi Audio.
That would explain the answers that I got from them. I was at first unsure whether they are just cautious or do they really have a limit for low impedance loads. Not a big problem at this end though, seems like there's plenty of Hypex- and Purifi-based power amplifiers to choose from that don't have such limits. Perhaps amplifiers based on the module discussed in this thread are out by then.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, color me surprised.

Have not seen any evidence that NAD has customized any Hypex/Purifi design as yet. They may manufacture, but all the NAD pics I have seen are the stock amp modules. For that matter, the Hypex data sheets specifically claim that their SMPS supplies plenty of capacitance and NOT to add any. NAD's main customization to date appears limited to power supplies.

Last edited:

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
That would explain the answers that I got from them. I was at first unsure whether they are just cautious or do they really have a limit for low impedance loads. Not a big problem at this end though, seems like there's plenty of Hypex- and Purifi-based power amplifiers to choose from that don't have such limits. Perhaps amplifiers based on the module discussed in this thread are out by then.
I believe that the issue is not the nominal 3 Ohm load, but the unspecified minimum load.

Lomako

I believe that the issue is not the nominal 3 Ohm load, but the unspecified minimum load.
The original Divas were said to be mostly a resistive load between 3-4 ohms without steep phase angles. Information on that is anecdotal though, hard to find any measurements from those days. I will consult the restaurer on how the restauration might change the requirements for an amp.
Would you say that most of the latest Hypex/Purifi-based amplifiers could do it if the impedance stays between 3 and 4 ohms?
Sorry for derailing this thread once more!

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
The original Divas were said to be mostly a resistive load between 3-4 ohms without steep phase angles. Information on that is anecdotal though, hard to find any measurements from those days. I will consult the restaurer on how the restauration might change the requirements for an amp.
Would you say that most of the latest Hypex/Purifi-based amplifiers could do it if the impedance stays between 3 and 4 ohms?
Sorry for derailing this thread once more!
All of them will be stable for loads above 2 Ohm.
The difference will be how low the load can be before a short circuit is detected when playing at high volumes. How the short circuit is dealt with will also change pending the module used.

capslock

A class AB amp is typically 60-65% efficient, while a class D amp is ~90%. The remaining percentage in both cases goes to heat generation. So there will be a significant difference.

True. But what amp gets to run at 30% of rated power or beyond? Unless you have a 10 W amp or are in PA or have super inefficient speakers, this doesn't happen. So idle power becomes much more important. A well designed AB amp may consume on the order of 5 W / channel (50 mA * 100 V) which is right where most class D modules are (the Purifi is better).

Same thing with SMPS vs. conventional. I tried measuring a Hypes SMPS400 vs. a Hypex 450 W toroid + filter + protection. The toroid had less idle consumption. It will also be fairly efficient at higher powers.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, latest (still marked preliminary) data sheet does explain why the NCoreX module is not compatible with the original NC500 in software mode. Some of the key registers are mapped differently.

As for 2 ohm loads, the spec is 700 watts using 84V power supply. This is same as 4 ohm power btw and is substantially higher than the NC500 at 2 ohms.

Last edited:

sernikus

I have to admit that I am impressed with the Ncx500 -the sound is very,very good...damn good, even... I know it's very "unscientific" - but that's all I can say for now...just listened for a couple of days...Very good job Hypex!

Hypexsales

Audio Company
I have to admit that I am impressed with the Ncx500 -the sound is very,very good...damn good, even... I know it's very "unscientific" - but that's all I can say for now...just listened for a couple of days...Very good job Hypex!
Thank you for the compliment. that is what we aim for. damn good sound quality :) We are happy you like them.

Redwine

Thank you for the compliment. that is what we aim for. damn good sound quality :) We are happy you like them.
In the process of ordering a Purify or similar, just wonder if anyone so far delivers “plug and play” solutions with Ncx designs?

Hypexsales

Audio Company
In the process of ordering a Purify or similar, just wonder if anyone so far delivers “plug and play” solutions with Ncx designs?
not yet. As we only shipped samples now and no mass production yet, there is non that supply a complete solution. So, for an NCx solution you would have to be a bit more patient.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I have been able to finally listen to a Hypex NC500 based amp. It does not sound, which is the best you can say about an amp.

It powered a pair of KEF Ref5 speakers and it was simply clean. The uncanny part was touching the amp and it was slightly warm.

Top Bottom