• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex Announces New and Improved NCOREx Class-D Amplifier Technology

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 201528
Sources:
Humm ... so apart from the buffer/no buffer aspect it looks like the Hypex NCx500 beats all up to about 11 watts -- for most people much of the time a lot of listening happens below 10 watts.

Zorlac

How do we calculate the wattage used by our amps at normal listening volume? Just have to use a kill-a-watt meter or something?

I have bypassed the buffer on my amps and my pre-amp sits at about -30 dB pretty much all the time unless I have someone over and I am showing off what my system can do. ;)

capslock

Seems I the thread I posted in is dead, so I'll repost here. I'd argue the NCx500 is close but not quite as good as NC400 and 1ET400:

I was wondering if it was just 2x improved compared to NC500 or compared to NC400, as the NC400 is already a whole lot better.

Looking at the NC400 - data sheet towards the end of the performance graphs, there are on the bottom left IMD 18.5 + 19.5 kHz, 100 + 100 W in 2 R (funny, it's a mono module - does that mean two modules on one power supply?), on the right there are no watts and ohms, let's assume it's 100 W in 4R. The two fundamentals are at -3 dB. First difference tone (~ HD2) at -100 dB, second at -124 dB. Third is in noise (-138 dB), fourth and fifth at -131 dB.

NCx500 18 + 19 kHz at -3 dB each, 100 W in 4 R: first at -114 dB (quite significantly better), second at -121 (slightly worse), third -131 (significantly worse), fourth -132 (same), fifth -128 (slightly worse).

If the half-bridge technology of the NC500 has been retained (NC400 is full bridge), that's quite an achievement to get to the level of the NC400, which is about even with the Purifi! Difference of NCx500 to NC400 is that higher orders are slightly stronger.

THD+N vs power in 4 R show similar differences. The NC400 reaches its minimum of 0.0003% at just over 50 W and is virtually the same above that for 1 and 6 kHz. The NCx500 has less noise and reaches its minimum of 0.00018% at 5 W, but it deteriorates significantly above that at 6 kHz. At 100 W and 6 kHz the NC400 still has 0.0004%, the NCx500 0.00055%. So less noise, but also less loop gain at higher frequencies.

Both are excellent modules! From a purist's point of view, I'd still say the NC400 is a tad better.

Edit: Purifi Eigentakt for comparison
18 + 19kHz 100 W in 4 R: fundamentals at -3 dB, first diff at -122, second at -128, third at -130, fourth in noise (-137). THD+N minimum of 0.00014% at 250 W.

The Eigentakt is a lot quieter than NC400 and NCx500 at full power. Of course, one would have to look at what buffer was used. Regarding IMD products, one can argue whether NC400 or Eigentakt is preferable. Again, the NC400 shines at high orders, while allowing somewhat poorer performance for low orders.

Last edited:

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I see rubycon caps. Wouldn't be surprised if the price is equal to 1ET400A.

Then again isn't Purifi still the better choice overall?

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I believe so. Because I have a Purifi amp ;-)
Can you comment on your use patterns? I´m extremely curious about heat at usual outputs (around 30 watts).

I hate heat, I do loathe it, and if it were possible, I´d slap a cold plate and a closed-loop of water to cool an amp just like I do on my pc.

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can you comment on your use patterns? I´m extremely curious about heat at usual outputs (around 30 watts).

I hate heat, I do loathe it, and if it were possible, I´d slap a cold plate and a closed-loop of water to cool an amp just like I do on my pc.
Well its class D, the most efficient one.

Pretty much any other amp will get hotter.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well its class D, the most efficient one.

Pretty much any other amp will get hotter.
Not sure that's right. Usually class D amps have just a plate of aluminium to get cooled, which isn't much. Class AB usually have a lot larger heat sinks.

6 watts into a tiny heatsink might run hotter than 15 into a very large one.

mocenigo

Major Contributor

It is always cold, but with my speakers I rarely use more than a couple of watts

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Not sure that's right. Usually class D amps have just a plate of aluminium to get cooled, which isn't much. Class AB usually have a lot larger heat sinks.

6 watts into a tiny heatsink might run hotter than 15 into a very large one.

Are we discussing how hot the unit itself gets to the touch, or how many watts are generated in heat? If the latter, any Class D will beat AB every day of the week. The reason AB designs have significantly larger heat sinks is because they generate much more heat.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Are we discussing how hot the unit itself gets to the touch, or how many watts are generated in heat? If the latter, any Class D will beat AB every day of the week. The reason AB designs have significantly larger heat sinks is because they generate much more heat.
Watts in heat are a more interesting measure, I´d say. Basically because I´m not using the amp to place a pan and fry bacon (that´d be a class A), I´m more interested in keeping a well-ventilated room in order to keep a good dissipation.

My current class AB Denon makes the room quite hot in warm days and it´s quite inconvenient.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Watts in heat are a more interesting measure, I´d say. Basically because I´m not using the amp to place a pan and fry bacon (that´d be a class A), I´m more interested in keeping a well-ventilated room in order to keep a good dissipation.

My current class AB Denon makes the room quite hot in warm days and it´s quite inconvenient.

A class AB amp is typically 60-65% efficient, while a class D amp is ~90%. The remaining percentage in both cases goes to heat generation. So there will be a significant difference.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess i can give an example. I have a Yamaha A-S1200. It gets only hand warm, but probably burns >20 watts or so during idle. But this thing is a huge 25kg mountain of parts, it's hand warm with a very large surface.

I tested a NC252MP from Audiophonics, which burns <10 watts during idle. It was a lot warmer to the touch, but obviously it's just one kg or so and has a lot smaller surface.

Hope that makes sense.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I also have a Purifi and I played it for 10-15 minutes one day at VERY high volumes and it didn't even get warm. Around 85-88 dB. I've never felt the top of the case more than room temp.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Bruno has no involvement in this new model right?

He's left Hypex?

JSmith

Master Contributor
He's left Hypex?
Yes, end 2014;

1651638721504.png

JSmith

clearnfc

A class AB amp is typically 60-65% efficient, while a class D amp is ~90%. The remaining percentage in both cases goes to heat generation. So there will be a significant difference.

Yes!! Class D amps are just as efficient as the PSUs used in our PCs. Look at a 1000-1500w psu, dont need giant heatsinks or noisy fans to keep it cool. The same goes for class D amps. Small in size, lots of power and cool running!!

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I guess i can give an example. I have a Yamaha A-S1200. It gets only hand warm, but probably burns >20 watts or so during idle. But this thing is a huge 25kg mountain of parts, it's hand warm with a very large surface.

I tested a NC252MP from Audiophonics, which burns <10 watts during idle. It was a lot warmer to the touch, but obviously it's just one kg or so and has a lot smaller surface.

Hope that makes sense.

Yes that makes sense, as long as your realize that the hotter unit actually generates less heat.

Top Bottom