• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex 1200 and Harbeth advices

BeppeP

Hello,
This is my first post and hope that I follow the right rules :)
I started to read review about Class D amplifiers here and I would like to buy one of them. In the past I tried Moon and Auralic, integrated in class D and only Auralic had a decent kick, at that time I owned Harbeth 30.1. Now it seem that evolution in chip is quite mature and I have contacted Nordacustics, Apollon and and Italian producer to understand if those amplifier can be a good match for Harbeth. I sold recently my Mcintosh 8900 as I found bulky and with terrible phono stage as I tight was not justifying the price paid. I am looking for an amplifier with Hypex 1200 having talked with people who know exactly what is behind Purifi etc two manufacture advices to add OP amp and choose a chip, the third manufacture who is an audio engineer and I define very competent outside his own economical interest suggested me to don’t take an OP amp as it will add an extra cost, extra lost in quality of the signal and an extra board who can be added later if I want. Now buying without trying is something I would like to avoid considering that we talk about 2000k euro at least, so I am wondering if there is someone who can advise if there is a known and commercial brand I can demo, if someone has Harbeth, witch kind of pre amp I should match. I listen mainly vinyl and streaming so I need or an all in one preamp or two modules analog preamp with phono and a separate streamer with Dac. I listen everything but mainly synth, rock, so I don’t need something soft but an amp with grip and control on bass l, dynamic and not harsh on high. Thanks

lappy

Hello,
This is my first post and hope that I follow the right rules :)
I started to read review about Class D amplifiers here and I would like to buy one of them. In the past I tried Moon and Auralic, integrated in class D and only Auralic had a decent kick, at that time I owned Harbeth 30.1. Now it seem that evolution in chip is quite mature and I have contacted Nordacustics, Apollon and and Italian producer to understand if those amplifier can be a good match for Harbeth. I sold recently my Mcintosh 8900 as I found bulky and with terrible phono stage as I tight was not justifying the price paid. I am looking for an amplifier with Hypex 1200 having talked with people who know exactly what is behind Purifi etc two manufacture advices to add OP amp and choose a chip, the third manufacture who is an audio engineer and I define very competent outside his own economical interest suggested me to don’t take an OP amp as it will add an extra cost, extra lost in quality of the signal and an extra board who can be added later if I want. Now buying without trying is something I would like to avoid considering that we talk about 2000k euro at least, so I am wondering if there is someone who can advise if there is a known and commercial brand I can demo, if someone has Harbeth, witch kind of pre amp I should match. I listen mainly vinyl and streaming so I need or an all in one preamp or two modules analog preamp with phono and a separate streamer with Dac. I listen everything but mainly synth, rock, so I don’t need something soft but an amp with grip and control on bass l, dynamic and not harsh on high. Thanks
I have the Harbeth SHL5+ and the Nad C298 power amplifier (Purifi, Class D) + the C658 streamer/preamp. Amazing combo!

ThoFi

My SHL5+ 40 An with Hypex Class D shows problems at high frequencies. Too bright!
Also too analytical.

Top Bottom