• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hybrid tube pre-amp with active speakers... and bypassable?

Kutusov

Very noob question and probably shows I have no clue about this subject.... But can you put a tube preamp between a dac and active speakers, get the tube effect and just bypass it by a switch or power off when you don't want that effect?

This is something I never saw discussed in any review. Meaning is probably a silly question but it's sillier not to ask it :)

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You'll need a switch to switch it in and out of the circuit, but yes, it's possible to use a tube preamp as a switchable tone/distortion box like this. You'll want to adjust the potentiometer for unity gain. If you're thinking of going in this direction, you don't really need a preamp, there are "tube buffers" with no potentiometer; look for one with unity gain so you don't have to adjust the volume when you switch it in and out.

The Schiit Saga has a unity gain tube section that you can switch in and out of the circuit with a touch of a button. Distortion is very low though so its effect on the sound is subtle and probably difficult to pick out in a blind test. Even higher distortion units may be hard to ABX... a couple examples were posted by members here before the holidays. If you really want a tube box as a kind of audible tone control, you might want to intentionally go for a high distortion model, like one of the Korg Nutube preamp/buffers. (You're likely to get a slightly higher noise floor though because the Nutube is hard to use without at least some gain, but it's likely to impart more of a DHT-like quality.)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Very noob question and probably shows I have no clue about this subject.... But can you put a tube preamp between a dac and active speakers, get the tube effect and just bypass it by a switch or power off when you don't want that effect?

This is something I never saw discussed in any review. Meaning is probably a silly question but it's sillier not to ask it :)

The Schiit Freya + also has a tube circuit you can switch in and out.

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That's exactly what I was trying to figure out with the Vali 2 and cheap chinesium stuff. Thanks!

I recently heard Vali 2 hooked up between DAC and power amplifier, used as tube buffer. There wasn't any sound if tube was removed or it was powered off. Seems like it was designed for headphone amp, with handy line out for power amp.
I did not check if volume pot was functional for pre-outs.
I couldn't tell if it was changing sound or anything, but it was working!!!

Top Bottom