• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hurricane Michael Update

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Hurricane Michael hit the Florida Panhandle last year, October 10, so, four months ago.

We took a little day trip (800 miles) to Panama City ostensibly to check out some real estate.

Approaching the storm area from the east, plenty of downed (snapped) pines, more sturdy oaks stripped of leaves.

There are still piles of tree debris removed from the roadways littering the sides.

Closer, more trees down, blue roofs start to appear (tarped, unrepaired), and piles of flood/wind/rain damaged stuff on the edge of every road.

Found the estate, looked nice enough, good price, good condition, but the landscape around looks carpet bombed, and probably will for another 20 years.

Reached the eastern edge of Panama City, plenty of downed trees, blue roofs, missing roofs, collapsed strip malls, piles of rubble, gas stations with canopies missing, street signs blown over/around/down, busineses "temporarily closed".

Turned south along the coast and drove past Tyndall Air Force Base (empty) and on through Mexico Beach, the point of landfall.

Most of the big rubble has been removed from Mexico Beach, many many empty lots (slabs or stilts remaining), roadway washouts temporarily repaired (for about the next 40 miles), various structures still, at least, standing, some barely, A little activity in terms of repair to the less demolished structures.

Overall, for what we saw, far less progress at restoration than I might have imagined. This was my first "disaster area" visit, so what do I know.

Many billboards advertising things such as "Denied insurance claims? Call us!".

There were plenty of "Wow!" and "Look at that!" as we drove through.

The little woman at one point said "It looks like it happened yesterday."

I have to admit, it kind of did. Stuck in time, somehow. Waiting, but for what?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if rebuilding is stalled behind insurance payouts. A friend of ours had their house catch fire and it took almost a year to battle it out with the insurance company and yet only about half the payout is through.

I can't imagine how it would feel like if I were in that situation.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I live in Houston. In August of 2017 hurricane Harvey caused catastrophic flooding. Many neighborhoods are still a mess. Our longtime home flooded and was not worth repairing. We cashed the insurance check, sold the place for lot value and bought another house at higher ground. We are still replacing things which drowned in the storm. It's a forced Marie Kondo. I can't tell you how much was left at the curb.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Flying into New Orleans 9-10 months after Katrina, I saw miles of devastation before we landed. It gave that same "How long ago did that hit?" vibe.

cjfrbw

Long time ago, driving to Gulfport, saw the notorious apartment building slab where the people were having a hurricane party and Camille blew them smithereens. I think they only had a couple of survivors, one who floated away on a mattress and got tangled in a tree. I don't think they ever rebuilt.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Long time ago, driving to Gulfport, saw the notorious apartment building slab where the people were having a hurricane party and Camille blew them smithereens. I think they only had a couple of survivors, one who floated away on a mattress and got tangled in a tree. I don't think they ever rebuilt.
Yes, that was an incredible story for one survivor. (I've not heard of another). A woman was washed out of a 3rd floor window, got tangled up in phone lines on poles which kept her from being sucked back in the brick building which a moment later collapsed and disappeared with everyone in it never seen again. She grabbed some floating lumber, hung on all thru the eye and storm surge. Was washed inland 7 miles, and then back out being deposited across the street from where the building once stood (only the foundation pad was left). Quite the amazing story.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if rebuilding is stalled behind insurance payouts. A friend of ours had their house catch fire and it took almost a year to battle it out with the insurance company and yet only about half the payout is through.

I can't imagine how it would feel like if I were in that situation.

Insurance is only half of the problem. The funds are held by the lender who has your mortgage. They don't pay out until the repairs are 50% finished. Contractors have more business than they know how to handle, but they do not have the capital to finance half of the job and wait for a bank inspector to release the funds. It's a real catch 22. Needless to say, those without mortgages on their flooded home get the best service, and the ones who pay fast get served first.

There are also permitting problems. If the house is more than 50% damaged (by value of the structure) it can't be rebuilt without elevating. In Houston there are large numbers of vacant flood damaged homes. Some look OK from the outside, but drive down the street just after dark and no lights are on.

I have been through all of this and spent a lot of time helping others navigate the system.

Top Bottom