• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Huntsman wins battle with gecko

dr0ss

burnt geckos and a few white gecko eggs
Yeah, I've got a speedometer from one of our cars that is full of gecko eggs. Made it impossible to pass the safety inspection.
We have these bastards (Huntsman) in Hawai’i as well.
Really happy never to have encountered one myself.
How about half a rat in the switchboard?
We caught one in a roach trap last year. Tells you how big our roach traps need to be. Again, the smell was the clue.

jsrtheta

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yeah, I've got a speedometer from one of our cars that is full of gecko eggs. Made it impossible to pass the safety inspection.

Really happy never to have encountered one myself.

We caught one in a roach trap last year. Tells you how big our roach traps need to be. Again, the smell was the clue.
Pro tip: At 10,000 feet, you don't have to put up with any of these buggers.

D

Deleted member 48726

Geckos are tough little bastards, but he lost this battle. Heard a commotion on the back deck (the cat was involved too). Those planks are 4 inches wide.

View attachment 260484

Reminds me of the Alien facehugger. Let him enjoy his snack for an hour or so, before picking him up (being careful not to detach him from his meal) and putting him gently back in the bush.
Jesus christ, I've always been torn whether I would like living in Australia or New Zealand or not. I love the nature, but there are 10.000 more was to die down under than here in Scandinavia.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Jesus christ, I've always been torn whether I would like living in Australia or New Zealand or not. I love the nature, but there are 10.000 more was to die down under than here in Scandinavia.

Would you rather hit a moose or Australian wildlife?

Moose: mass at the top, skinny legs. Hit it at speed, it crashes through your windscreen.

Kangaroo: mass at the bottom. Hit it at speed, and it totals the front end of your car.

There are also Emus in Australia (kind of like a dangerous ostrich). Again, mass at the top and skinny legs. The problem is that if you hit one, you just break its legs and the whole bird breaks through your windscreen and lands in the passenger compartment.

Oh yeah, a friend of mine hit a cow in a 4WD with a bull-bar fitted in the middle of the night. Black cow, dark road - hit at 110km/h. Apparently the point of contact was the cow's belly, because it exploded and the car was covered in blood, guts, and excrement.

D

Deleted member 48726

Moose: mass at the top, skinny legs. Hit it at speed, it crashes through your windscreen.

Kangaroo: mass at the bottom. Hit it at speed, and it totals the front end of your car.

There are also Emus in Australia (kind of like a dangerous ostrich). Again, mass at the top and skinny legs. The problem is that if you hit one, you just break its legs and the whole bird breaks through your windscreen and lands in the passenger compartment.

Oh yeah, a friend of mine hit a cow in a 4WD with a bull-bar fitted in the middle of the night. Black cow, dark road - hit at 110km/h. Apparently the point of contact was the cow's belly, because it exploded and the car was covered in blood, guts, and excrement.
No problem. We all drive Volvos. ;)

dlaloum

Major Contributor
A few geckos killed the entire controller board for one of our airconditioners a while back. Found charred PCB, blown components, burnt geckos and a few white gecko eggs. Not impressed.
Yep - we lost an AC the same way - down in Melbourne... during cool weather, the nice warm circuitry is attractive....

dlaloum

Major Contributor

Wombats, a solid mass of muscle way low down to the ground - a big rig 18 wheeler will go over it, but the suspension is completely destroyed (not much left of the wombat either)

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
We have these darlings just (different kind of gecko) crossing golf courses and dragging elderly ladies into the lakes that are everywhere in Florida. Walking your precious little pocket designer Dog around the lake edge is some form of Snowbird challenge for the elderly.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
We have these darlings just (different kind of gecko) crossing golf courses and dragging elderly ladies into the lakes that are everywhere in Florida. Walking your precious little pocket designer Dog around the lake edge is some form of Snowbird challenge for the elderly.

That is a big beggar!

Many years go I was visiting Kennedy space center in Florida with my recently retired parents. We stopped in the car park for a picnic, and me/Mum were walking at the edge of the car park close to a large water filled ditch.

A security guard rocked up in a golf cart and told us to get away from the water. As we walked past her she (rather grumpliy) told us there might be aligators in the water, and that we "wouldn't outrun one". She didn't even crack a smile when I said:

"it's OK, I only have to outrun Mum"

:D

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Reminds me of the Alien facehugger. Let him enjoy his snack for an hour or so, before picking him up (being careful not to detach him from his meal) and putting him gently back in the bush.

Damn sad for the gecko. Well-managed response though.

For those of us who aren't geckos, huntsman may be big f*ckers but they're pretty benign. I usually have a couple residing in the bedroom (they enjoy the habitat provided by our domestic timber work).Sometimes they mess with me and play in front of the lights, casting giant spider shadows. Then there was the time one hid in my towel, and ran across my wet naked self (I may have vocalised ungraciously). Apart from that we get on ok. And they keep the cockroach numbers down, which is totally appreciated.

Funnel-web spiders are a different story. They really scare the sh*t out of me. Happily they are are rare visitors, and the cat usually takes care of them. She's relatively immune to venom that could kill a human (but there's only been one human death since anti-venom was introduced, apparently).

Last edited:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
They invite other Australians into their homes and of their own choosing too, which is far more dangerous, truth be told!

Yeah, today's breakfast guests got a bit bolshy:

IMG_0011.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0009.jpeg
    IMG_0009.jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Top Bottom