• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Huntsman wins battle with gecko

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Gecko battles;

JSmith
Never seen anything like that before. If I puked up a meal and it suddenly crawled away, I would be heading to Church at my first opportunity Bro! :oops:

Nature is amazing and brutal. Makes me have a newfound respect for our ancestors and how they dealt with this. In dark damp caves!

OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
@restorer-john - that Huntsman in your pic is a toddler. So where is mummy???

We have giant huntsmans here as we are in the trees and bush. Those guys actually will give me a fright, especially when they crawl out from under the engine bay and across the windscreen while you are driving. Apparently they have a thing for diesel engines- I'm not kidding.

I get none on my petrol SUV, but our other diesel one seems to attract the giant huntsmans which are about 10" span.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I came face to face with this guy in my bathroom a few years ago. Compared to your specimen, this guy was tiny. Only 4cm across (about 2"):

34185078.CRW_4432.jpg

OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I came face to face with this guy in my bathroom a few years ago. Compared to your specimen, this guy was tiny. Only 4cm across (about 2"):

34185078.CRW_4432.jpg

That's a fantastic photo.

OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Bloody extortion.

You're right!

Thing is, I reckon they run the same racket at the two houses up the road and a few opposite as I hear the same 4 birds doing the same thing. Only people with dogs. Mmm.

Mafiosa Magpies.

jsrtheta

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You're right!

Thing is, I reckon they run the same racket at the two houses up the road and a few opposite as I hear the same 4 birds doing the same thing. Only people with dogs. Mmm.

Mafiosa Magpies.
If they start talking about how terrible it would be if you had a fire, call the coppers.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
rare video of restorer-john relaxing with the lads:

That crocodile ran pretty fast for short legs. :D I'm more the put a bullet in it's head and then make some deep fried croc snacks type of person. I have little use or like for reptiles...

Scrivs

Forum Donor
We have these bastards (Huntsman) in Hawai’i as well. Especially around cane fields, but also pretty much anywhere else that provide a modicum of insectoid food and shelter. Smashed a giant on the West side the other day. Wasn’t expecting the ichor to smell quite as foul as it did.

Kinda smelt like rotting crab.

OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
We had a gecko lose a battle with a Denon receiver a few years back. Tracked the smell down, found the poor guy's corpse stuck between the circuit board and the bottom of the unit.

A few geckos killed the entire controller board for one of our airconditioners a while back. Found charred PCB, blown components, burnt geckos and a few white gecko eggs. Not impressed.

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
John, I want you to tell me -- PLEASE TELL ME -- that one of those things have never been inside your house. You know which one I mean.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That guy in the first video could have whipped out his pig-sticker and done some damage to that beasty. It's weird how a hunting dog permitted that kangaroo to headlock it.
39LSSC_1__85737.1607300812.jpg

Top Bottom