• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Humbly presenting my DIY.

OP
F

FNQGuy

Nice work on the towers! They look great in flat gray, but a quality build like that deserves a serious gloss paint job IMO. Seriously, what drivers are those? They look like tang band to me.

Yeah I will paint them eventually, Probably still gray though.. The drivers are Chinese, sold here under the "response" label, I guess because they do have some..LOL.. together they do a great job for the price, even if they do take a little more horsepower than I would like to use.. I should imagine the factory that makes these also sell them under other names too. the files that came with them were fairly accurate, so the crossover worked quite well first hit with only a couple of little tweaks. Good enough for these old ears anyway... Thankyou...

Edit, the drivers do have an interesting geometry.. the voice coils are not glued to the back of the cones at the diameter they are.. rather depending on the driver, they are glued to a cone that spreads the pistonic movement of the radiating element. For the woofs its about 1/4 for the mids its 1/3 or less...All of them have vented magnets...

Last edited:
OP
F

FNQGuy

The bass and low mid grilles took longer than I thought..Frames finished,
Now the uppers.

20210709_104041.jpg

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You should be very proud of those! Amazing DIY work. I have seen the drivers you used at Jaycar. Have never bothered with them, but your measurements are making me think twice!

Did you design your crossovers with VituixCAD? do elaborate..

OP
F

FNQGuy

You should be very proud of those! Amazing DIY work. I have seen the drivers you used at Jaycar. Have never bothered with them, but your measurements are making me think twice!

Did you design your crossovers with VituixCAD? do elaborate..

The x/o was designed using xsim, fairly simplistic by design, I really wanted to use the 4" driver from the same set. but it didnt integrate as well on paper. Overall these cheap drivers are well made and perform well above there cost category and should not really be dismissed if the law of diminishing return is applied. I would love to measure them in a better room. The room is causing all sorts of havoc and putting them where they sound best would not win me any brownie points..:) and subs hands over to the mains at 40. Whilst this does not look as good when measuring, It sounds better to me and thats what its all about really.. ;). Vocals are chilling on these things..Yes I,m happy...

Oh, measured with Umik and REW.

Last edited:

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I suspect they are rebranded HiVi drivers. Respectable.

HiVi mid left, Response mid right;

HiVi b4n & response 4 inch compare.jpg

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is just incredibly impressive!

Huge kudos to you!

D!sco

This is a really inspiring build. It has great natural lines, and an exciting stance. You should be proud.

Top Bottom