• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Humbly presenting my DIY.

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Odd you should say that, the grey has grown on me too..:). Im not looking forward to the finish prep and paint however...

You're in a real bind. You assembled the speakers as a trial run to see how they fit together and sound. Fit is and sound are fabulous you say. So the speakers have achieved the prime objective. But they only look great from here. Ford Magnetic (color) would make them look fabulous IMHO. But, looking great would be good enough for me for a long time.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Respect, it's an amazing job you did here.
Once you decided to go for the paint, why not another month's job and go all the way >>>

Tom C

Major Contributor
I have absolutely no doubt that someone who can accomplish what’s been done here has the ability to send the project home!

OP
F

FNQGuy

You're in a real bind. You assembled the speakers as a trial run to see how they fit together and sound. Fit is and sound are fabulous you say. So the speakers have achieved the prime objective. But they only look great from here. Ford Magnetic (color) would make them look fabulous IMHO. But, looking great would be good enough for me for a long time.

Yes, just looked at that color, I like. Yes that's the thing about an audio forum, its not like photography or similar, you cant hear them from where you are..Unless I crank em up a bit...:)

OP
F

FNQGuy

Great vid Harmonie, Thankyou. I have issues with isocyanates, It would be best If i recruit competent help when the time arises..

OP
F

FNQGuy

Total cost of project, $2,460 +/- $10, thus far.. This includes the Amps, AVR the CD player, and the cabinet they are in. Worth it I think..

6speed

How did you cut the star pattern into the felt? I always thought that always looked impossible to DIY by hand

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

ElNino

The brains of the outfit...In the process of being fitted. Low order x/o, nothing flash..

That's the cleanest crossover wiring I've ever seen. Love how you've used terminal strips and posts more commonly used in point-to-point tube amps.

OP
F

FNQGuy

How did you cut the star pattern into the felt? I always thought that always looked impossible to DIY by hand

Ah question, I like.. Draw up the shape to scale with a graphics app, in this case corel , print onto adhesive paper, stick it on the felt,, and cut it out with an excacto. viola.

OP
F

FNQGuy

How many hours?

Got a picture of your shop area?

I think so, as a guy that prefers "do it yourself" in many activities.
3 to 4 hours a day for six months, so If I had to put a cost on that you would have to move the decimal point at least one place to the right..But we do this shit because we enjoy it don't we, ?..:). No shop, built them in the garage, sometimes in the living room, that didn't win me any Brownie points with my wife though...

OP
F

FNQGuy

That's the cleanest crossover wiring I've ever seen. Love how you've used terminal strips and posts more commonly used in point-to-point tube amps.
I like the idea of the xo being in its own airtight cubby, so I could alter it on the fly so to speak. So it evolved from that requirement. Inductors wound by hand, fairly unique values were required no available locally.:)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
No shop, built them in the garage, sometimes in the living room

Nice job.

I imagine you at the Wilson Dealer taking a hundred physical measurements

Dealer "May I help you?"
FNQGuy: "Oh no, I'm just trying to decide if they'll fit in my room, thank you"

OP
F

FNQGuy

Nice job.

I imagine you at the Wilson Dealer taking a hundred physical measurements

Dealer "May I help you?"
FNQGuy: "Oh no, I'm just trying to decide if they'll fit in my room, thank you"

FNQGuy: "No, Im well beyond any kind of help". o_O, unless your name is Sigmund Freud...

Last edited:

AudioJester

Forum Donor
Wow, thats amazing.

Was feeling quite chuffed with my LX521 build, but this is a another level of brilliant.

OP
F

FNQGuy

A bit of goofing around with measures, furniture and a small component swap in the x/o Ive settled on the noise I like, It looks like this, didn't like it flat ..And I dont know whats going on in sub 20 region, i hear a little port farting before I hear noise, Ill address that. but all in all, sounds good, looks pretty.. Its an average of 6 shots over a 2 x 1.5 m rectangle at the LP.. 1/6 smoothing.
thisisit.jpg

D!sco

Nice work on the towers! They look great in flat gray, but a quality build like that deserves a serious gloss paint job IMO. Seriously, what drivers are those? They look like tang band to me.

Top Bottom