• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Humbly presenting my DIY.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
You know nice discussion i had with my brain about one sub.

Brain: And do you like it?
Me: Yes it sounds good
Brain: But dont you think the bass comes from the left?
Me: Ahhm but acoustic theorie tell you cant heare?
Brain: Yeap boy but i can see....
Me: Ok this discussion makes no sense.
;)

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Spectacular job! Anyone who has entertained DIY knows that making a simple bookshelf box, is not a few hours affair, let alone something as complex as this.
I find your FR, verging on the spectacular, those more versed in things speakers, will/should interject of course.. I also don't think you should be ashamed of your system, It might be light years better than the systems' of audiophiles likely to own the original speakers. They will likely use some "audiophile" amplifiers or worse, tubes amplifier incapable of properly driving the loads.
The objective proof would be in measurements. We would appreciate, if you could provide us with some; or at least work with those who know a lot about speaker or in-room measurements to let us share a piece of your heaven.
Just to tease you a bit: Why not dual subwoofers? :)
Congrats

Last edited:

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think you should change your title of this thread. Those speakers are gorgeous and probably outperform 99.9 per cent of "retail bought" speaker systems. You shouldn't present them humbly but rather proudly.

When you build stuff yourself whether speakers or electronics (or both) you get a level of learning that is deeper than "listening , reading reviews, and getting out the credit card at a retail salon".

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Ah, so you run a dungeon in the BDSM scene and you're the caped dude (Thump Master) flogging his kinky slaves?
Great imagination, you must of been left to play alone often as a child ha ha

VMAT4

Forum Donor
Impressive is an understatement. I've got two questions. How much do these big boys weigh? And, what styles of music do you prefer?

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks guys,, @ Bankbail, nothing flash, cheap chinese ones, but they did go to the trouble of vented poles for 6" and up..overall they work well together, for the price...:)

Any build pics?

bunkbail

Forum Donor
OP
F

FNQGuy

He has to do two subs. You know its that symmetry. Yes i know its stupid, but my brain likes it. ;)

Yes, I see what you say. I now do actually regret not making two smaller subs, the visuals dont worry me, but It may have helped with room modes, that are a bit of an issue. Its a totally awkward room to work with..:). Moving the right channel to where the sub was and the sub to where it was did help a lot, this suggestion made by another enthusiast. And I had never even considered it...:facepalm:

OP
F

FNQGuy

Hi

Spectacular job! Anyone who has entertained DIY knows that making a simple bookshelf box, is not a few hours affair, let alone something as complex as this.
I find your FR, verging on the spectacular, those more versed in things speakers, will/should interject of course.. I also don't think you should be ashamed of your system, It might be light years better than the systems' of audiophiles likely to own the original speakers. They will likely use some "audiophile" amplifiers or worse, tubes amplifier incapable of properly driving the loads.
The objective proof would be in measurements. We would appreciate, if you could provide us with some; or at least work with those who know a lot about speaker or in-room measurements to let us share a piece of your heaven.
Just to tease you a bit: Why not dual subwoofers? :)
Congrats
Thankyou yes the FR , Im pretty happy with, I posted it elsewhere here as a thankyou for the info I gleamed from that thread prior to me signing up.
But here it is again , with a better explanation.

movedsub.jpg

The red line is the AVR in Stereo using Audessey and its associated EQ. All others are Direct. green is a rectangle of 3 meters x 1 or so meters around the slouch couch, Orange is at 3 positions along the bar at head height on a bar stool, those two groups averaged separately and then averaged themselves all 1/6 smoothing to produce the Orange FR that is general across a much larger area. I ended up crossing the sub at 40hz. I have good bass down well past 20hz although I cant hear it obviously, the cutlery draw and the neighbors china cabinet can and maybe some migrating whales, neither can I hear much above 14k, Its an age thing, but we also have bats here so Im sure the appreciate my efforts...

OP
F

FNQGuy

Impressive is an understatement. I've got two questions. How much do these big boys weigh? And, what styles of music do you prefer?

Thankyou, A little under 130kg each in new money. And since I built them, "anything" it all sounds good, even the genres I previously disliked..:)

OP
F

FNQGuy

Any build pics?

Yes I have lots, but bunkbail who posted after you threw out a bit of spoiler. However if there is anything specific you would like to know or see, Ill post here also.. And Thankyou...

Last edited:
OP
F

FNQGuy

The brains of the outfit...In the process of being fitted. Low order x/o, nothing flash..

Attachments

• 20190804_124045.jpg
    20190804_124045.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 233
OP
F

FNQGuy

You are quite a talented individual.

Thanks Tom, the cabinets were a challenge, and I enjoyed building them despite a few DOH moments. there are pretty much no parallel sides or square corners, In fact the sides are arrangement of intersecting curves, I just loved the look, how they sounded was secondary. So maybe you can understand my delight with them sounding pretty damn good. The paint is primer only, all the edges are still to get radii, and the inter cabinet hardware fitted, prepped and finish paint, two pot automotive of a yet undetermined color, If I go long enough without them to do it...:)
DSCN3651.JPG

VMAT4

Forum Donor
Looks good to me.

VMAT4

Forum Donor
Odd you should say that, the grey has grown on me too..:). Im not looking forward to the finish prep and paint however...

You have yet to buy the paint. You're not at the point of no return.

Top Bottom