• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Human Sensitivity to Frequency Response

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've searched this and not found a thread elsewhere. In another forum, someone posted this:

abx level matching criteria clark arny k aes.png

(https://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup...stimulate-discussion.80476/page-2#post-101241)

And they go on to interpret it as:

the curves appear to suggest that the JND [Just Noticeable Difference] for a deviation from flat (peak or dip not specified) with a centre frequency of, say, 200 Hz would be about 2.7dB where the deviation extends over 1/3 octave, about 1.2dB where it extends over an octave and about 0.2dB where it extends over 3 octaves.

I hadn't seen this before, and it certainly calls attention to frequency response issues in the presence region and above. In particular, I understand why some speakers with 3db of emphasis broadly above 7Khz (I'm calling it showroom treble) are so irritating.

I suppose the graph feels a little misleading, as a three octave Q around 5K spans 2.5kHz to 10kHz, whereas a 3 octave Q around 50 is 25-100, a range in which sensitivity varies significantly. I presume the sensitivities are calibrated to the center of the dip/emphasis?

This is prompted by Alan Shaw's "Tech Talks", which are pretty good for vendor-sponsored education.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think it is misleading. It matches my experience. Very slight EQ changes over octaves makes for a noticeable difference in sound that many people don't expect. I've blind tested myself on microphone preamps, and DACs that have .3 or .4 db droops over the 3 octaves at both the top and bottom of the scale and they are discernable.

For instance some devices will say they are -3db down at 20 hz. Such a device isn't within .1 db of flat until 200 hz. (Think old analog tape decks) That level vs one which is -3 db down at 2 hz is something you can notice. Same at the other end of the spectrum. A little droop in the top couple octaves does sound a bit soft in the treble.

Top Bottom