• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Human eye sees one photon, can test Quantum mechanics

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-human-eye-could-help-test-quantum-mechanics/

I've read of other tests indicating it probably was so that one photon can be detected by the human eye.

Plenty interesting here. One related to blind testing (with eyes no less) is only about 10% of the photons reaching the eye make it to the rods to be perceived. So testing that with human volunteers is a little different.

Then on the other hand, according to some audiophile abilities, they'd have to be hearing one electron or in some cases less than one electron in a circuit. Maybe they should forget about eyes, and switch to ears that ear movements of sub-atomic particles possibly even quarks.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
How, practically, do you generate a single photon?

---

If a single photon can be detected by the eye, and we call that 0dB, standing outside on a sunny day (3×10^14 photons per eye per second - 300,000,000,000,000) would be 289dB range.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
There are no ideal single photon sources (damn that Heisenberg fellow!), but they can be approximated several different ways (maybe more, I've been out of that world for some years now). We used single molecule emission, but I think there's also laser methods like 4 wave mixing.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
This quantum mechanics stuff is a bit beyond me. I have trouble understanding something can be on and off at the same time plus be capable of other complex states.

AndrewDavis

This quantum mechanics stuff is a bit beyond me. I have trouble understanding something can be on and off at the same time plus be capable of other complex states.

Be the spoon, Ron. ;)

I have always had a hard time with quantum mechanics. It's so foreign to our life experience. I have read a few books that have moved me closer to understating, all have titles that sound something like "Quantum Mechanics for Non Physicists"

And by understanding, i mean understanding on a descriptive and metaphorical level. I will never ever have the math...not even if I start studying today.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I have trouble understanding something can be on and off at the same time plus be capable of other complex states.

This book might help...

1566687073075.png

Wombat

Master Contributor
Be the spoon, Ron. ;)

I have always had a hard time with quantum mechanics. It's so foreign to our life experience. I have read a few books that have moved me closer to understating, all have titles that sound something like "Quantum Mechanics for Non Physicists"

And by understanding, i mean understanding on a descriptive and metaphorical level. I will never ever have the math...not even if I start studying today.

It gets even spookier. Time(t) can be cancelled from some equations. :cool:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Then on the other hand, according to some audiophile abilities, they'd have to be hearing one electron or in some cases less than one electron in a circuit.

I don't know if you can have "less than one electron".

But if one Ampere = 0dBFS then one electron = ?

By my hurried yet belated calculation, between (or somewhere around) -373dBFS and -378dBFS

That power difference, if applied to sonic power generation, exceeds even Rob Watts hearing acuity and would require we resurrect Chuck Norris for the listening test.

Wait a minute... He's Chuck Norris, he can resurrect himself.

mansr

Major Contributor
But if one Ampere = 0dBFS then one electron = ?

By my hurried yet belated calculation, between (or somewhere around) -373dBFS and -378dBFS
-376 dB by my reckoning.

That power difference, if applied to sonic power generation, exceeds even Rob Watts hearing acuity
At a nominal 2 V that's about 320 zeptowatts. If Mr Watts is of normal human size, that's roughly 25 femtograms, or 1/40th of the weight of one E coli bacterium.

resurrect Chuck Norris
He's not dead yet, is he?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Hmm...

Fooled me, somehow...

Top Bottom