• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Human ears more sensitive than measuring instruments

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pretty sure it matters what the objectivist is saying:

I know the lines are parallel but I like the illusion anyways

or

I know the line's aren't parallel damn your ruler. You can't measure everything we see or your measuring the wrong thing.
I really don't care what my senses tell me, given how fallible they are. The parallel lines illusion is a perfect example. Ditto anything I think I might hear. If my meters tell me different, then I'm wrong.
S

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
hearing curve area.jpg

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Human hearing is quite good in its freq. range, but instruments with higher sensitivity can be and have been designed.

Sound & Hearing vs. Frequency.png

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I really don't care what my senses tell me, given how fallible they are. The parallel lines illusion is a perfect example. Ditto anything I think I might hear. If my meters tell me different, then I'm wrong.
S
There are those who would tell you that you are WRONG about being wrong. So there.........take that.........you are mistaken.......you are CORRECT!

Asylum Seeker

I don't know about your eyes but mine cannot resolve dimensions at scaler finer than micrometers. But a basic microscope can. Heck, some can even do angstroms.

I've heard this argument from audiophiles where they claim human ears are more sensitive to changes than measuring instruments. What are the thresholds for what can and can't be heard? Let's say regarding dB levels?

0.3 dB? How far down can measuring gear measure to? Amir? 0.03 dB? I'm not a measuring guru but input would be appreciated.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That image is a good argument for subjectivists. Does it matter what the rule says or does it matter what I see? (Does it matter what the APX555 says or what my ears say?)

Nice try, but it would be a good argument for subjectivists only if you could make a picture where lines aren't objectively parallels but would appear subjectively so.
Mine just proves that our senses are not precise.

Top Bottom