• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Human beliefs sure are weird. Why is it so difficult to get audiophiles to accept the existence of perceptual bias?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I think that the problem with cars is not so much what they're powered with, (fossil fuels, which are just stored solar energy, or something else that ultimately derives its energy form the sun), but why I need something that weighs over a ton to carry my 170 pound body around.
You don't, a little 250cc motorcycle will do the job in a very green manner.
But I've been riding all my life and the general population constantly asks why, because they are so dangerous.
So when I "and they" want to feel safe, I get in my big Ram 1500 pickup truck and others get out of my way. :p

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Do you mean riding in one was suspenseful?
You were suspended in the seats, which were more like hammocks, separated from the road by a thin sheet of steel with a propensity for rusting(*), and from the sky by a canvas roof. So yes, there was a lot of suspense, which we were happily unaware of. Simple minds in simple times.

(*) Putting your foot through the footwell was a regular occurrence with older 2CVs.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
(*) Putting your foot through the footwell was a regular occurrence with older 2CVs.

Yep, I clearly remember when my mom decided to switch to a more modern car. She was driving on the motorway on a rainy night in her 2CV, when suddenly most of the floor detached because of the vibrations. She managed to steer into the emergency lane and didn't get hurt, but it took quite a few days for her to get over the shock... No more 2CV for her :D

Wombat

Master Contributor
#504: What, me biased? How dare you.

Or so it goes. o_O

egellings

Major Contributor
The motorcycle is one way to use less fossil fuel, although the rider's exposure during an accident is excessive and it does not work well in icy and rainy conditions. It's hard to carry bags of groceries on them as well. Those little 2-cycle engines pollute way above their weight, too. An electric motor could greatly reduce that, though. Maybe a 3 wheeled covered cart sort of thing might work for local use.

Tim Link

Forum Donor
Anyone who has to manage appraisals at work knows the truth of this. Almost everyone thinks they are a superstar deserving a raise and promotion and gets quite put out if told that they are doing their job well to an acceptable standard but are not a superstar.
In the Navy my commanding officer wrote in my evaluation that I was "on my way to becoming an average ELT." I was allowed to contest that statement but chose not to. I was happy to hear it! He had some degree of faith in me.

mansr

Major Contributor
The motorcycle is one way to use less fossil fuel, although the rider's exposure during an accident is excessive and it does not work well in icy and rainy conditions. It's hard to carry bags of groceries on them as well. Those little 2-cycle engines pollute way above their weight, too. An electric motor could greatly reduce that, though. Maybe a 3 wheeled covered cart sort of thing might work for local use.
Something like this? https://carver.earth/en/tech-specs/
I've no idea if that particular model is any good. It was the first one I found with a quick search.

egellings

Major Contributor
Looks like a possible approach. You might still have a car for long trips or when you need to carry passengers or a lot of material. For most of the short trips, like going back & forth to work or the post office (if that is a reasonable distance) the small vehicle could be used.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
In the Navy my commanding officer wrote in my evaluation that I was "on my way to becoming an average ELT." I was allowed to contest that statement but chose not to. I was happy to hear it! He had some degree of faith in me.
One of my (many) mottos is:
Strive for mediocrity

For some folks, it comes easily; but for others of us, it's a stretch goal.
;)

egellings

Major Contributor
Small vehicles just might not work well for 350 pound NFL players or 7 foot tall basketball players, I. 'spoze.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

mansr

Major Contributor
AFAIK there hasn't been a 2-cycle road machine built it over 20 years.

Me either, but how about this, The Harley-Davidson LiveWire
im-116733
I thought we were talking about something small that could carry a grocery bag and protect you from the rain. That thing will do neither. Might be fun to drive, though.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I thought we were talking about something small that could carry a grocery bag and protect you from the rain. That thing will do neither. Might be fun to drive, though.
You could carry an umbrella. :facepalm:

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seriously, read Thinking Fast and Slow
https://www.amazon.com/Thinking-Fast-Slow-Daniel-Kahneman/dp/0374533555
........Once you read what he has to say, you'll realize how flawed so much of our reasoning--and perception--is. And it will help you to make better decisions about much more than just audio equipment.

Like Baseball. The NYT just posted a fascinating article on how TFAS has become the obsession of major league front offices, scouts, and coaches trying to get a leg up on the competition. It references Micheal "Moneyball" Lewis book on Kanheman and a Vanity Fair article on why Moneyball and Kahneman are related. Baseball, like the audio hobby, is full of lifers with decades of experience. Kanheman's principles can help maximize the benefits of experience and minimize the chances of poor judgements rooted in bias.

Hopefully the links are not behind a paywall.

StefaanE

Forum Donor
It would be cool to match Anosognosia speaker cables with the Wilson Alexia. Probably get no sound and not know why.
ROTFLMAO. But they’d look damn impressive.

Top Bottom