• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Human beliefs sure are weird. Why is it so difficult to get audiophiles to accept the existence of perceptual bias?

THW

Forum Donor
Fusion the power of the future. Only 50 years away, and it always will be.

fusion is one of those things that sounds beautiful but has serious difficulties going forward.

you’re basically trying to replicate the conditions that matter is under at the core of the sun but without the huge gravitational forces the sun exerts on matter at its core (which is the main reason why the sun can actually generate energy through fusion). to replicate these conditions requires additional energy, that energy doesn’t just simply appear out of nowhere.

i do think it has a lot of potential and worth exploring (probably my more idealistic side and “wishful-thinking” part of me coming out :D ) but right now fusion power faces serious difficulties.

Krunok

Major Contributor
i do think it has a lot of potential and worth exploring (probably my more idealistic side and “wishful-thinking” part of me coming out :D ) but right now fusion power faces serious difficulties.

I don't agree - I think we are much closer to have it then before. Quite a progress was made in Germany and Japan in last few years.

kevinh

Everything else simply won't work on the long run.

We are missing 3 key technologies to survive: fusion, matter replication and hyperdrive. :D

We have enough Thorium for a few million years at current energy use levels.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Well in that case fusion is the power of the future. 8 minutes in the past and it always will be.

If I ever make it out your way, I have many stories about my life and times with Stan Pons that require alcohol for the retelling.

Krunok

Major Contributor
You forgot holodeck, in case things don’t work out.

tenor.gif

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well in that case fusion is the power of the future. 8 minutes in the past and it always will be.

Not necessarily ;)

Inserting a pedantic quote...

Assuming that the Earth conserves its orbital angular momentum, the orbit of the Earth will expand proportional to 1/M(t), to 185 million km

But at that point, the sun will have expanded, so timing will change anyway. It's jitter on a solar system scale I guess.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Not necessarily ;)

Inserting a pedantic quote...

Assuming that the Earth conserves its orbital angular momentum, the orbit of the Earth will expand proportional to 1/M(t), to 185 million km

But at that point, the sun will have expanded, so timing will change anyway. It's jitter on a solar system scale I guess.

Scotty would beamed us on time so nothing to worry about as we would be hitting warp 9 when schiit hits the fan.. :D

digicidal

Major Contributor
So... just spit-balling here, mind you... what if we made an extension cord long enough to reach the sun....

Oh sorry, time for my meds... carry on.

OP
Z

Zerimas

you are also basically at the mercy of the weather.

That's why you obviously put the solar cells in space and then connect them to Earth with 50,000km space elevator. Duh. It is like you've never even watched Mobile Suit Gundam 00. :facepalm: ;) Once you've accomplished that then you obviously can get to work on 18m tall humanoid robots powered by baryonic decay. If that proves too difficult there are always cold fusion and "degeneracy" reactors (all you need a spare black hole or two). It should be noted though these things are only for powering giant robots (between 18m–250m tall). They are not for unimportant things like "solving the energy crisis" or something.

Geez, it is like you guys don't even watch any Japanese animes. :p

digicidal

Major Contributor
Geez, it is like you guys don't even watch any Japanese animes. :p

My avatar disagrees with you. And you don't want Major Kusanagi mad at you.

Bearing in mind that I'm a nihilist in many ways... I have to side with George Carlin on much of this:

Last edited:
Top Bottom