• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hum source

river251

Hello, this is my first post here. I hope this is an acceptable place to ask this.
I have a Peterson solid state guitar amp that was just gone over by my tech. I have an archtop guitar with a humbucker pickup and tone / volume controls mounted under the pick guard. When I plug the guitar into the amp with a guitar cable there is a 60 HZ hum. When I touch the strings the hum changes. When I adjust the volume or tone, the hum changes getting louder or softer. I'm trying to understand hum and I've looked at lots of YouTube videos about hum but they haven't been very helpful. It doesn't seem like it could be a ground loop because there's only one guitar plugged into one amp plugged into one socket but I don't understand electricity much so I just really can't say. I have researched isolation transformers, noise reducers and noise Gates, USBS, and I don't have any idea what to do. I saw videos on guitar wiring problems that can produce hum but I have no idea how to test to see whether the noise is coming from the guitar, the amp, the cord, etc.
Any pointers about where to start or what to test or try would be super appreciated. Thank you.

sam_adams

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Here's a couple of links on DIY shielding of guitars:

Example copper tape with conductive adhesive:

OP
R

river251

Here's a couple of links on DIY shielding of guitars:

Example copper tape with conductive adhesive:

Thanks very much for the reply. That is why I mentioned that this is an archtop guitar and that the controls are mounted beneath the ebony pickguard. There is no control cavity, and no place to put shielding around the controls. Hopefully there will be other ideas involving the amp or cord or guitar or room or I don't know what. Thank you very much again.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you turn down the volume on the guitar does hum go down too? If so that confirms it is the guitar.

Have you tried it in a different location, different part of your house, and does it hum about the same?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Use humbucker pickups? It seems to be the guitar since it changes with volume.

I suggest taking the whole shebang to your tech to help debug. This is likely a fairly easy problem for him to fix but likely to be a large effort on your part.

sam_adams

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks very much for the reply. That is why I mentioned that this is an archtop guitar and that the controls are mounted beneath the ebony pickguard. There is no control cavity, and no place to put shielding around the controls. Hopefully there will be other ideas involving the amp or cord or guitar or room or I don't know what. Thank you very much again.

The first reply in this thread may give you some ideas.

Top Bottom