• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Huawei smartphones

sajunky

I'm afraid you come over like a fan boy.

EMUI is certainly not the most polished UI. To me Pixel, OnePlus, Samsung and Sony seem better.

Basically nobody has heard of LHDC. Are there any headphones that support it, or any other phones?

Apple keep things updated WAY longer than any Android vendor. My old iPhone 5s is still getting updates. That's a good thing.

The other anti Google pro Huawei bits of your rant don't deserve comment.
I made a statement that users should not be afraid of not getting updates from Google. These 'security' updates are not about user security nor privacy but a spyware and it happens that such updates violate user rights, as ACR (and other recording software) saga reveals. Users start to realise that constant updates are not beneficial to them. Google responds with bullying tactics forcing updates on users and OEMs like Huawei. Your response is also nature of bullying, so I will not respond to such posts in future.

To all others, I hear a new Huawei OS is almost finished, it will be probably based on the open source Android. Huawei don't need to ask Google for permission for use.

Last edited:
OP
J

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, despite starting this I have decided to just dump my own phone. I mentioned to my boss I was replacing my phone and he asked why, is there something wrong with the one he gave me. I have always avoided personal use of company phones etc but have been told it is on an unlimited plan so any personal use doesn't cost them anything so just use it. As I say, I don't like the IPhone 8 but I will try and get into it as the money not spent on a mobile phone contract can pay for something else.

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks for the responses! Reassuring to know Google and Huawei are speaking again.

However, one still needs to be very cautious about the future of Huawei. As of today, Huawei is still on the U.S. entity list, meaning that the U.S. government will still intervene any business relations and technology transfer with Huawei by ANY U.S. company. The licensing of security updates from Google can end any day.

And it is almost undoubtedly that the future development of Huawei will be heavily affected, among which the ban of ARM chips will be most consequential.

While Huawei P30 is a very good phone, under the current circumstances, I would consider Google's Pixel series instead.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/10/...-eased-national-security-concerns-entity-list

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I made a statement that users should not be afraid of not getting updates from Google. These 'security' updates are not about user security nor privacy but a spyware and it happens that such updates violate user rights, as ACR (and other recording software) saga reveals. Users start to realise that constant updates are not beneficial to them. Google responds with bullying tactics forcing updates on users and OEMs like Huawei. Your response is also nature of bullying, so I will not respond to such posts in future.
Well...you're half right. If you check the monthly updates to the AOSP code there are identifiable security fixes in there, sometimes for issues that are being actively exploited. You should absolutely be worried about not getting these updates. There are also a bunch of non-security changes of course. The bits that can arguably be described as spyware, or GDPR violations, have generally been moved into the Google Apps side of things so that they can be updated via the Play Store update mechanism without waiting for manufacturers to release firmware updates. These may or may not contain security updates - it's harder to tell as the source isn't generally released. You can use AOSP, LineageOS or similar without the Google Apps installed, depending on how much of the Google experience you can do without.

Ludicrous claim.
Not so much as you may think - MS has more than once been found including telemetry updates in hotfix bundles that are claimed to include only security hotfixes. The hotfixes that backported telemetry to older versions of Windows weren't exactly upfront about their purpose either. The lack of an 'off' switch for telemetry, and the lack of clear disclosure about exactly what it collects, are being investigated as possible GDPR violations too.

DKT88

Never heard of MS Telemetry?
I have heard of a disputeed patch containing tm wrt windows 7. That does not make your claim that MS distributes security patches for non-genuine Windows 10 for the sole purpose of spying on users any more credible.

THW

Forum Donor
Well, despite starting this I have decided to just dump my own phone. I mentioned to my boss I was replacing my phone and he asked why, is there something wrong with the one he gave me. I have always avoided personal use of company phones etc but have been told it is on an unlimited plan so any personal use doesn't cost them anything so just use it. As I say, I don't like the IPhone 8 but I will try and get into it as the money not spent on a mobile phone contract can pay for something else.

might be considered heresy since everyone here seems to use Android but I actually do enjoy my iPhone X a lot :)

UI will definitely take a bit getting used to coming from Android but so far the UI hasn’t made me particularly miss Android, I also personally don’t mind not having the headphone jack, I don’t really like physically connecting anything directly to my phone unless I absolutely need to anyway

GTsmokeya84

Forum Donor
I am in the US and have had a Huawei Mate 10 Pro for almost a year now and honestly its a great phone. Awesome battery impressive screen and awesome camera. For value the same specs on a Samsung was almost a 1k bucks so this was worth trying. Never had any software problems or update issues. I continue to get updates and have no problems. I have only one small complaint, whenever using Bluetooth music on any apps and the screen is blank and I click the button to wake the phone there is a small pop in the music. Not all the time but most of the time, its small but a little annoying. Otherwise I recommend the phone.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think a person can buy a Huawei phone in Canada. There are serious issues ongoing that I can't mention. What about the USA?

OP
J

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had to return my Galaxy S10 which replaced my iPhone 8 when I switched employer a few weeks ago. Because I am temporarily working in England for them before going overseas they told me to buy something and claim expenses as an interim measure. I bought a OnePlus Nord and I am honestly struggling to identify good reasons to pay more for a smartphone. Terrific screen, great Android implementation, loads of internal memory and nice tactile feel/perceived quality.

Top Bottom