• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Huawei smartphones

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is probably a really dumb question, but I know nothing about smartphones beyond using the things. My Sony Xperia is out of contract (here most smartphones are sold on a contract basis where handset cost is spread over two years and bundled with data and airtime packages) and its battery is dying at a precipitous rate now. I've also notice the screen has early signs of the death flicker. So I'm thinking of replacing it. The model I like is the Huawei P30 Pro but I believe Google have withdrawn Android support from Huawei. What does that actually mean? The phones still appear to use Android. I am not so struck on the current Sony line up, the Samsung S10 is nice but for some reason I prefer the P30 Pro. We no longer seem to get LG handsets here which is a shame. I have an Apple iPhone 8 which is work issue but I really don't like it, I suspect it's nothing wrong with the phone but because I was an Android user first I still find Android much more comfortable. Any insights on the situation with Huawei for an ignoramus would be appreciated (given that the Chinese secret service are highly unlikely to find anything interesting in anything I might do I'm really not worried about security scare stuff).

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I understood that Huawei and Google were friends again.
They are still developing their own OS though.

DKT88

This is probably a really dumb question, but I know nothing about smartphones beyond using the things. My Sony Xperia is out of contract (here most smartphones are sold on a contract basis where handset cost is spread over two years and bundled with data and airtime packages) and its battery is dying at a precipitous rate now. I've also notice the screen has early signs of the death flicker. So I'm thinking of replacing it. The model I like is the Huawei P30 Pro but I believe Google have withdrawn Android support from Huawei. What does that actually mean? The phones still appear to use Android. I am not so struck on the current Sony line up, the Samsung S10 is nice but for some reason I prefer the P30 Pro. We no longer seem to get LG handsets here which is a shame. I have an Apple iPhone 8 which is work issue but I really don't like it, I suspect it's nothing wrong with the phone but because I was an Android user first I still find Android much more comfortable. Any insights on the situation with Huawei for an ignoramus would be appreciated (given that the Chinese secret service are highly unlikely to find anything interesting in anything I might do I'm really not worried about security scare stuff).
The US ban on the sale of Android to Huawei has ended although there is some chance it could be reinstated. If that were to happen your phone would still work, just wouldn't get OS updates. That could be a problem if it didn't get security patches. Seems like an unlikely scenario at this point but that's just my speculation.
I have a Huawei Mate 9 and its been a good phone - huge battery. After 2 years, the battery swelled up like a bag of microwave popcorn, but that was probably because I had in on the charger all the time. I installed a new OEM screen/battery module and it is like new again. One complaint, Huawei is really slow to roll out Android updates. Probably no worse than Samsung and others though.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

DKT88

That makes sense from both the Google and Huawei perspective that existing phones would continue to get security updates. Just as Microsoft provides security updates to people running non-genuine Windows 10. The companies don't want the OS ecosystems to become infested with malware. So if the situation between the US and China were to crash again all you might risk is no more OS updates.

OP
J

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the responses! Reassuring to know Google and Huawei are speaking again.

BillG

Major Contributor
Huawei's version of Android uses some rather aggressive power management, that may become an issue when using it for audio. It did on my own Huawei tablet, and I had to go into its management application to disable it on each affected application individually. Other than that, they make fine devices... :cool:

OP
J

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One of the reasons I like my current Xperia XZ premium is that it has very good audio quality. The DAC is audibly transparent and although the headphones output is limited by our hearing protection regs it's SQ is very good. Nowadays it seems very difficult to find a smartphone with a headphone jack in our market. I have reverted to using a dedicated DAP (Shanling M3s) so audio quality is not such a big deal for me anymore.

OP
J

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't actually tried my AKG headphones with the direct digital input yet, a pleasure still to try.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been completely happy with my OnePlus 6, after 18 months I still have zero complaints. I'd buy another from the same brand, they have a clear support for security and Android versions policy that they seem to be sticking to.

I don't think predicting what the US administration will do with Huawei is possible, there looks to be more to it than just security concerns.

simbloke

Forum Donor
I have a P20 Pro and it's not a bad phone, but I won't be buying another Huawei. The power management stuff is a total pain and the monthly security patches are nothing more than a myth.

My previous phone was a Sony Z5 which had a much less annoying version of Android and did see the odd security update.

Tup3x

I have a P20 Pro and it's not a bad phone, but I won't be buying another Huawei. The power management stuff is a total pain and the monthly security patches are nothing more than a myth.

My previous phone was a Sony Z5 which had a much less annoying version of Android and did see the odd security update.
I have P30 and I've had zero issues with power management. Also security patches have come monthly. To my understanding P20 Pro gets updates quite often too.

simbloke

Forum Donor
My security patch is April 2019. That's the only one since the Android 9 upgrade which finally came last december.
Last year I had exactly 2 security patches. Mine was a SIM free UK device.

Power management issues manifest themselves as apps that stop giving notifications, media server apps that get killed unless the phone is charging, other apps are killed when you're not looking and have to restart when you switch back to them. The battery life is good but for me it's not worth the side effects.

[edit typo]

Wombat

Master Contributor
It all depends on a POTUS whim.

Tup3x

My security patch is April 2019. That's the only one since the Android 9 upgrade which finally came last december.
Last year I had exactly 2 security patches. Mine was a SIM free UK device.

Power management issues manifest themselves as apps that stop giving notifications, media server apps that get killed unless the phone is charging, other apps are killed when you're not looking and have to restart when you switch back to them. The battery life is good but for me it's not worth the side effects.

[edit typo]
You do know that you can disable automatic power management per app basis or for all?

EMUI 9.1 update is also currently rolling for P20 series.

simbloke

Forum Donor
You do know that you can disable automatic power management per app basis or for all?

EMUI 9.1 update is also currently rolling for P20 series.

Yes, I do that. What I have described is in spite of all my efforts.
Don't get me wrong, it's just an annoyance, but one that will stop me buying another Huawei.

Wombat

Master Contributor
It all depends on a POTUS whim.

sajunky

That makes sense from both the Google and Huawei perspective that existing phones would continue to get security updates. Just as Microsoft provides security updates to people running non-genuine Windows 10. The companies don't want the OS ecosystems to become infested with malware. So if the situation between the US and China were to crash again all you might risk is no more OS updates.
Microsoft is updating non-genuine W10's, as it is the easiest way to implant updated spyware on these machines. They learnt a lot from Google on that matter...

Apple is using updates as a technique to push sales of new phones. It was in my case of iPhone 4 which was rendered partially functional after update to iOS7, but there are other cases too.

I do update my phone only when I see bug fixes that affect me or real improvements indicated in the log. Google FoolPlay Services prompt me every day to update my Huawei phone. If I do, ACR may stop working (which is widely reported on the Internet). When I do refuse, I am being asked again to accept new Google agreements (which should not apply to the current version of software, but they do ask anyway). And finally - the third time in a row - I am being asked whether to update over WiFi, in a continuous hope I would press a wrong button. A real hostile environment.

From the competition point of view, it would benefit users if Huawei had released their own OS free of Google FoolPlay Services, giving users a choice.

Companies have more strategic goals than protecting someone from poor malware. Huawei refused at a time to install CIA/MOSAD backdoors on their 5G routers, it is why they are on the radar. What is a reason to lift a ban I don't know, maybe because they realised that Huawei is one year ahead of US-based companies in 5G technology and world cellphone companies were already heading towards Huawei solutions despite of sanctions in US. The war is about controlling the entire 5G network, not just cellphones.

As for the phones, Huawei currently makes the best handsets. Not just flagships (unlike Samsung in the last few years), but also ordinary low-cost Y series. A default strict power management can be annoying, but there are configuration options to deal with. The EMUI interface is the most thought and polished, there are couple monitoring utilities helping users with common problems and cameras are - undisputedly - the best quality, even in the entry-level phones.

From the music lovers point of view, Huawei do not offer outstanding quality over 3.5mm plug, but they seem have heavily invested in HWA/LHDC initiative, the first royalty free codec for Bluetooth (LDAC, aptX are not). All 2019 Huawei phones with Oreo or above support LHDC, I don't have a compatible headset to test and I have yet to see user opinion.

simbloke

Forum Donor
I'm afraid you come over like a fan boy.

EMUI is certainly not the most polished UI. To me Pixel, OnePlus, Samsung and Sony seem better.

Basically nobody has heard of LHDC. Are there any headphones that support it, or any other phones?

Apple keep things updated WAY longer than any Android vendor. My old iPhone 5s is still getting updates. That's a good thing.

The other anti Google pro Huawei bits of your rant don't deserve comment.

Top Bottom