• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HT setup recommendation

sirmoon

Hi everybody!

I would like to ask you for an advice on my new ht setup. Right now I am using some old Q Acoustics 1050i floorstanders together with NAD D3045 stereo amplifier for both music and movies and I decided to make it little better (now there is no bass at all and overall the sound is crap). Since I figured out I watch movies for like 80% of time I would like to move to HT. So far no rears, just good 3.1 or 2.1, 3.0... not sure. To be honest, there is no much space for a beefy subwoofer in my living room so I am wondering if some bigger floorstanders with decent low frequencies would be enough.
So far I have looked at these:
Polk Reserve R600
KEF Q750
KEF R5
ELACs Debut and UNI-FI

Viewing/listening distance is 3m and the open living room with kitchen is around 40sqm. There could be a potential problem with not so much distance of speakers from a wall which can be max 10-15cm. So bottom/front bass reflex?. Not sure if it really helps.
About center channel, I like Monolith THX if I can even tell the difference from the phantom center.

Budget: +- EUR1500, second hand is totally fine

Really appreciate any help!

radix

Major Contributor
For movies, you want a sub or two. 3.2 is what I have right now after moving to a new house from a 5.1.2 system. I miss the rears and once I can get wire run, I'll go back to 5.2, then maybe add the front heights again. The center channel is also very important for movies, but if your listening positions are tight enough in and the speakers wide enough out, maybe the phantom center is ok for you?

Even some of the smaller subs will help a lot, like the SVS 3000 micro.

I have the KEF R3 + R2c for LRC and am happy with the sound and the room EQ from Denon.

What are you using for the decoder? TV to the HDMI arc on the NAD? I guess you need to stick with 2.1 for that combo.

You might be better off moving to a full AVR first so you can get at least 3.1 plus room EQ. Then moving to 5.1 or 5.2 is pretty easy.

OP
S

sirmoon

Thanks @radix! After reading more similar topics here I decided to go the way you recommended. So far I'll skip the center and get the sub. SVS 3000 looks good, BUT... it is unacceptable for me to pay more for a sub than for speakers.

Regarding the source, yes, I would still use the NAD since there is SUBout. I will see whether I can get satisfactory results without room EQ. If not I'll get some AVR in the future.

From those speakers that I mentioned, what whould you take?

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I would not worry about speakers yet. Try to see if you can find a sub you can afford that goes down to 25-30hz. A sub that only does 35 (usually cheap subs) on up is useless. Once you fill the low end, your entire system will sound better. Then if you want new speakers or a new AVR go ahead. But without a sub you are not really going to get that HT sound.

radix

Major Contributor
From those speakers that I mentioned, what whould you take?

I have a preference for KEF, so Q750 or Q350 (bookshelves). I use the Q350 in a bedroom system, and they are only $800 for the pair.

But by the numbers [1], something like the Polk XT60/XT70 or Elac DBR-62 or UB52 would be a better value. If you can keep the speakers to about $800, you can get a decent sub, like some of these. These are just examples, there are many brands to pick from. If you are limited on space, I think smaller is better so you have more flexibility on where you position the speakers and sub.
  • (30 Hz): Monoprice SW-15 ($250)
  • (20 Hz): Monoprice M-10 V2 ($700)
  • (23 Hz, but small): SVS 3000 Micro ($900)
[1] https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-recommendations-for-usa-by-sweetchaos.28296/

I was trying to stay within your budget (about $1600 USD).

Big tower speakers will not substitute for a sub. You need to go really big and/or really expensive to get close. A good pair of 50-80 Hz speakers plus a sub is the way to go.

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think the PB-1000Pro is a better budget sub choice compared to 3000 Micro. It’s larger than the 3000 Micro but I think you get a lot more oomph for less money.

I have the 3000 Micro - I bought it because it’s small and high tech - but I find it underwhelming. Your space is also fairly large, being open plan, if I understand correctly.

The Pro models have the app, just like the 3000 Micro, which has a 3-band PEQ, and that can greatly improve your experience. Measure with REW, find your room modes, adjust with the app, your movies will sound amazing.

As for speakers, I’d recommend adding Elipson and Magnat to that list, they’ve got inexpensive stuff that’s decent.

OP
S

sirmoon

Thanks all of you! ok, with some fiddling in my living room, I think I can place sub in size of PB-1000 Pro. Now it's time to catch some deals:)

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Thanks all of you! ok, with some fiddling in my living room, I think I can place sub in size of PB-1000 Pro. Now it's time to catch some deals:)
There you go! The benefit of being on ASR.

OP
S

sirmoon

Guys, I can have Polks R600 and KEFs R3 for the exact same price. What would you choose?

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Both speakers your interested in look very good. Get whatever fits your needs the best. KEF for a bookshelf speaker and Polk for floor standing. You "should" end up with great speakers either way. But no one can tell you how they will sound in your room. Good luck and let us know what you end up getting and how it sounds. We all want to know!

Top Bottom