• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HT replacement speakers

SaltyLights

Hello all,

I am looking at replacing my current HT setup, both because it is obsolete and not doing well at what I use it for, and also in consideration that I may be downsizing in the not-too-distant future, and this will eventually become my main music system.

Current room dimensions ~14’L x 10’W. Spectral surfaces at each end, bookcase left, windows with blinds right. Sloping ceiling from right to left, ~8’ to 12’. Area rug covers center of the room.

Current HT system: Denon AVR1713, 95 WPC. Energy Take Classic 5.1, includes 200W sub.

Intention is to upgrade system, retaining the sub. Reason being we stream a LOT of symphony orchestra performances and other musical program material, along with the usual fare of documentaries, thriller series, movies etc, so want the best musical reproduction I can get. To give you some idea of my audio tastes, my living room stereo system comprises Creek electronics and a pair of Dunleavy Cantatas. Oldies but very goodies. Will lose it when I downsize.

Hoping to replace 1713 with X2300H or X3200H, something in that range, best used Denon HT receiver I can buy for <CAD500. They do occasionally show up.

Speakers: currently considering, on the basis of reviews and user reports, the following speakers, again the best used buy I can find <CAD500, in no particular order:

Dali Spektor 2
Q Acoustics Concept 20 (very hard to find at my budget), or 3010i/3020i (which some have said sound pretty much the same)
Monitor Audio Bronze 2
Paradigm Studio 20 Vx
B&W 685 Sx

Would appreciate if all you knowledgeable people on this forum could come to some consensus about what you would buy if you were in my shoes. Any clear choices among the list? TIA.

Top Bottom