• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HT bypass or a simple switch?

Helical

I’m in the process of expanding my 2.1 system into a 5.1 for family movie nights. In the process I’d like to preserve the highest fidelity possible, as music matters more, and thus keep using my current active speakers/preamp-solution. However, there is no HT-bypass option on my preamp.

So my question is this: is it a feasible option to add something like the Schiit SYS to switch between AVR/preamp -or- would a preamp with HT-bypass be the better option as far as sound quality goes?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m in the process of expanding my 2.1 system into a 5.1 for family movie nights. In the process I’d like to preserve the highest fidelity possible, as music matters more, and thus keep using my current active speakers/preamp-solution. However, there is no HT-bypass option on my preamp.

So my question is this: is it a feasible option to add something like the Schiit SYS to switch between AVR/preamp -or- would a preamp with HT-bypass be the better option as far as sound quality goes?
A Sys, or one of the Nobsound switches, or a Saga or Freya should work fine and be audibly transparent in this application. In terms of performance specs beyond audibility, the Freya S is outstanding. I have a Saga S, a Freya S, and a Sys, and would probably put the Sys in the living room like this if I were adding 3 channels to the TV/audio setup in there.

Top Bottom