• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HT— upgrade speakers or add more channels?

LaurenDean

I’ve hit a conundrum. I currently have an 11.2 setup and am trying to figure out how to proceed from here.

Setup: {12x14 room, for now}
Marantz 6014
L/R- Dynaudio Excite X18
C- Excite X28
S- Excite X14a [actices]
R- Excite X14
4 Atmos- KEF HTS eggs
Sub1- HSU ULS15 MK2 {sad that anyone would buy a similarly priced SVS over this beast}
Sub2- SVS PB12-NSD {right up against the back of my chair for tactile response}

Here’s my conundrum:
I also have a pair of Dyn Focus 20 XD on demo that I could sell for about $1200 profit [dealer owes me a favor]. I absolutely love the F20’s but I could apply that $1200 to upgrade the X18’s to Special 40’s at no out-of-pocket expense. I’d eventually need an amp for them however.

So, do I take the free Special 40 upgrade..... or do I use those funds to build my system toward future 15.2 capability like buying a 5-7 channel amp to power my front stage for the time being?

I guess I should probably ask— how much enjoyment improvement have you guys noticed going from 11.2 to 13.2 & 15.2? If the front wides are a big selling point, do they need to match my fronts?... as in would it be wise to keep the Excite X18’s and add another pair of X14’s to them, or would I be fine mixing Special 40 and X14?

OP
L

LaurenDean

I’ve hit a conundrum. I currently have an 11.2 setup and am trying to figure out how to proceed from here.

Setup: {12x14 room, for now}
Marantz 6014
L/R- Dynaudio Excite X18
C- Excite X28
S- Excite X14a [actices]
R- Excite X14
4 Atmos- KEF HTS eggs VidMate
Sub1- HSU ULS15 MK2 {sad that anyone would buy a similarly priced SVS over this beast}
Sub2- SVS PB12-NSD {right up against the back of my chair for tactile response}

Here’s my conundrum:
I also have a pair of Dyn Focus 20 XD on demo that I could sell for about $1200 profit [dealer owes me a favor]. I absolutely love the F20’s but I could apply that $1200 to upgrade the X18’s to Special 40’s at no out-of-pocket expense. I’d eventually need an amp for them however.

So, do I take the free Special 40 upgrade..... or do I use those funds to build my system toward future 15.2 capability like buying a 5-7 channel amp to power my front stage for the time being?

I guess I should probably ask— how much enjoyment improvement have you guys noticed going from 11.2 to 13.2 & 15.2? If the front wides are a big selling point, do they need to match my fronts?... as in would it be wise to keep the Excite X18’s and add another pair of X14’s to them, or would I be fine mixing Special 40 and X14?
issue got solved!!

Top Bottom