• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HSU HB-1 MK2 Review (Horn Speaker)

raindance

Major Contributor
It's not my job. It's the designer's job.
A given speaker is design to sound right at a specific position.
A horn loaded speaker, is design to sound right with the help of the side and back walls (mostly a corner, as the famous Klipsch Horn does).
When it is placed at that specific spot, all bands (low, mid and high) sound right.
You are talking about a completely different type of horn enclosure where horn loading is used at low frequencies.

Alegretti

@amirm, seemingly that the villain of distortions really is the third harmonic, which is relatively low in this sample.

BN1

Not surprised that this speaker sounds good as Hsu seems to know his stuff on design. BUT, I don't know why they have to market their sensitivity numbers differently than everyone else (except Klipsch ...). Also, overstate the impedance parameter (so do a lot of others ...).

KA7NIQ

Not surprised that this speaker sounds good as Hsu seems to know his stuff on design. BUT, I don't know why they have to market their sensitivity numbers differently than everyone else (except Klipsch ...). Also, overstate the impedance parameter (so do a lot of others ...).
I was not all that impressed with this speaker, or the BIC Speakers either With all due respect, perhaps Mr HSU should stick to making subwoofers ?

Godataloss

Hmm I hope the CCB-8 gets measured, it looks interesting as a point source 2-way with a giant 8 inch woofer. I wonder if that solution is better than a 3-way like the upcoming ELAC UBR62.
I've had a pair for a couple years and love them. Not sure they would do well in the Kipple test as they require exaggerated toe-in to image properly. Once dialed in, they absolutely disappear in the room. I've been playing a lot of the new Far Cry in my home theater and it has some of the best spatial effects I've ever heard in a video game. Even seated off center in the room, the imaging effects are spooky. I was considering getting another pair in rosewood this Christmas. If I do, perhaps @amirm would give them a spin.

NORTH

My experience with HB1 MK2 has been good. Thanks for the review, I had not given the tweeter height enough attention. The stands i use them on place the tweeter a few inches above my ear level. Not being in the mood to purchase another set of stands i thought, maybe ill just flip them upside down Haha, boom! problem solved. Also the upward facing speaker terminals now face down so there is no bend in the cables (kind of bothered me).

I have powered these with a few different integrated amps, mid and low frequencies will noticeably suffer if amplification is not up to the task.

CT007

I absolutely love my HB-1's(Emotiva A-100 amp). Very smooth & non-fatiguing. I ordered 4 other speakers to shootout test them against, and they sounded best to me, but are quite big for desktop use!

Very curious about FR graphs for HB-1, HC-1, and CCB-8. Upgrading from HB-1 to CCB-8 would seem the best option, by gaining 10dB bass range(60Hz HB/HC vs 50Hz CCB). I am not a fan of subwoofers(way, way overkill for small rooms IMO), and the bass of HB-1 is quite pleasant and satisfying to me, so that gain of 10dB should be a very noticeable difference, still keeping the system sub-less.

Not sure if any other <$1K speakers out there are worth messing around with(SVS Ultra?), so I would probably try LS50 as the next serious upgrade.

I am curious about HSU's HC-1 claim, "Can also be used vertically as a more powerful HB-1 MK2". Since HB-1 and HC-1 both only do 60Hz(and have the same tweeter), would "more powerful" simply mean the mid/upper bass has more impact, and sub-bass, mids & treble are identical? This is why I want to see a comparison FR graph between HB-1 and HC-1.

Last edited:
Top Bottom