• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How will TV volume control work with HDMi to streamer and coax from streamer to DAC/amp?

Jokse

Sorry if this is an obvious question. I'm quite new to this and I'm having trouble phrasing the question in google.

So let's say I use a HDMi cable from my TV to a Bluesound Node. Since I don't want to use the DAC in the Node, I will use the coax (is this the best one to use?) output and wire it to something like an Audiolab 6000A, which is an integrated amp with a built-int DAC.

How will the volume control work on my TV in this case? Will my TV remote still control the volume or will it do nothing since I'm bypassing the Node's DAC?

Thank you and sorry again if this is a stupid question.

jaymarnz

Yes, that's my setup and it works with both the TV remote and the Blusound App. Node is NOT set to fixed output and controls volume of all sources (TV, streaming, local music server). But I have to connect the DAC via optical. Otherwise, when I connect the DAC via USB the Node complains that it must switch to fixed output. Other DAC's seem to not pose this restriction but it's not a problem for me anyway.

I'm really happy with this setup since it's very easy and intuitive to use. Only oddity is the TV volume is lower than other sources. I believe that comes from converting 5.1 or whatever to stereo in either my TV of Chromecast (I've tried both)

My setup: Chromecast(fixed full volume)->TV->Node->DAC(fixed full volume)->Amp

Top Bottom