• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How well do you hear?

Bleib

Major Contributor
Probably not something new here, but could be quite interesting for many to try out. I'm sadly losing frequencies fast although I'm not playing anything loudly. I suspect this has to do with too much stress in life.

Reactions: pjn
OP
Bleib

Bleib

Major Contributor

recycle

Some in the comments report hearing high frequencies if higher resolutions are selected.

People commenting are misinformed. As you probabily know, youtube encoding is lossy: this means that resulting files will have a brickwall on hi freqs. Talking about YT files (generally ogg or mp4 in 128kbps) you wont hear anything past 16khz.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Due to youtube encoding, this video will not reproduce high freqs
Try this: https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/
This is also my favorite tool for a quick test on the PC, which I've known for a while. But I also still have a real analog tone generator that makes a nicer sweep when you tune it. I still hear about up to 9kHz when listening through my near field monitors. My wife hears 10kHz. I don't think that's bad at our age. In any case, it's still enough for seemingly unrestricted enjoyment of, say, a classical concert. In meetings with several people at the same table, I have increasing problems to understand everything. That used to be better, but doesn't happen so often anymore.

I'll do the test again later with my Beyer Dynamic DT 880 headphones.

Last edited:

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Now, when I go above room volume, I can still hear 12kHz whistling softly. But I perceive the lower frequencies as much louder.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I believe that's as it should be isn't it?
It probably is. That's why it's difficult for me to rate it. If I turned it up really loud, I could make out higher frequencies by turning the gain on and off and noticing the difference.

If I slowly turn up the frequency, the sound eventually gets lost. I think doing a proper hearing test requires calibrated equipment and physiological knowledge to classify everything correctly.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Yeah for sure. I just ran through the frequencies now using a cheap set of earbuds and I think I can hear up to around 12khz with them but I might be fooling myself. It's entirely possible that with a blindfold on and someone else pushing the buttons I wouldn't recognize 12k. Otoh, with my good headphones maybe I'd do better. Might give it a try after work...

thecheapseats

Addicted to Fun and Learning
topped out @ high 14k and change w/szynalski thru my crappy desktop computer speakers in the noisy house... for laughs I walked out to the studio and fired up my old HP 209 sweep osc - thru 420s it was much easier to hear - a bit more @ appx 15.6k - according to the HP dial...... I'll check the HP209 later for freq accuracy, just because I'm curious... I used in-ear hearing protectors for years and years in questionable situations and long headphone sessions out of fear - glad I did... I was expecting 10k or less due to age and career... no tinnitus so far...

recycle

The highest frequency we can get to hear depends on various factors and just taking age as a factor is wrong. First of all there is the source or noise generator: it must be able to really generate the high frequencies. Then, the sound system which must be able to reproduce the entire audible range. Furthermore, the state of shape of our auditory system is also important: a lot depends on how we have treated our ears during life, if we have exposed them to strong sound pressures for prolonged times, if we have had infections or traumas to the eardrum that have left the sign, etc
It is not accurate to say "you are X years old and you will hear frequencies up to X khz", this is a theorem without any basis

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
My ears don't do high frequencies, probably never did, verified in 1962 or so.

I blame Mom, who was similarly deflicted.

It kept me out of VietNam.

What?

Huh?

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
This thread should get more traction. I think many who have not taken a hearing test significantly overestimate their hearing ability. This has nothing to do with skill or training. Thanks for posting this. Agreed that their are better tests that don’t suffer from Youetube compression schemes. :cool:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't need a test to know I can hear cables and cable risers better than ever!

Top Bottom