• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How Well Can You Hear Audio Quality?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
We've had a thread about this sometime in the last few weeks. I originally picked 5 of 6 using headphones over a laptop way back in 2015. I did it again and scored 5 of 6 correctly. The last time it was the Jay Z where I flipped the 320 compressed file and wav. I think that is also the one I missed the first time.

Here is the other thread.
https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/can-we-trust-our-ears.3884/

OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Jay Z is the one I flipped around too. Probably the source is a mess to start with...

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Or maybe they made a mistake at NPR. Maybe we are right. :)

decoRyder

3 out of 6, but I didn't find the source material too good to begin with, they could have done better with that.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With AKG K701 I have better results with random answers.
I often choose 128 kbps as the best...

decoRyder

The conclusion for me here is hearing a difference will depend greatly on quality of the recording, and the type of music.

invaderzim

I've done that one before and I found I did best if I picked the track I didn't like as much. Maybe it is my headphones but most of the uncompressed ones were too detailed and harsh for me.

It might be as others have said that some music doesn't lend itself as well to that much detail.

I found the same thing with some of my music when I ripped it all to uncompressed files. Some just sounded better as an MP3 so I switched those back. Maybe some artists weren't meant to be heard that clearly. A bit like some people looking better in soft focus photos. ;)

Poiuyt23

5 of 6. Neil Young got me because of the recording artifacts during the final swell of music. Wasn’t sure if the one with or without the static was hi def. DX3 Pro into Oppo PM-3s.

Poiuyt23

I gotta be honest I have a pair of Sony MDR-1A phones that I pair with an Onkyo HD200 dac at my office and the first time I did the test (about the time the page went up as I recall) and I did no better than guessing, which truth be told I was doing.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Many nice tests online here! https://www.audiocheck.net/index.php

Test your audio equipment, online
AudioCheck gives you access to an extensive collection of sound tests, playable online and downloadable in high-quality for patrons. The audio material provided here will help you assess the audio equipment connected to your computer. Using this website, you will be able to:
  • Test your hearing, speakers, headphones, digital-to-analog converters... and more!
  • Design your own sound tests using our high quality waveform generators.
  • Download our sound files to your favorite audio player, and use your player as a portable audio test device.
These tests are for personal and educational use only. No commercial use is allowed without permission.

Top Bottom