• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How tuning music volume in Topping dx3 pro?

davidebond

Hi. I know that it is a trivial question, but I don't know the answer. How increasing or decreasing the volume of Topping dx3 pro using its knob? All volume values are negative; i.e. -40, -25, etc. Why are the values only negative?

I cannot adjust the volume from the pc, because it is at 100%, according to audio seettings of Windows 11.

I adjust the volume using dac knob for trials and errors.

Thanks and best,

Davide

staticV3

Master Contributor
All volume values are negative; i.e. -40, -25, etc. Why are the values only negative?
The unit is dBFS (Full scale)
0 dBFS is the highest volume possible in the digital world.
From there you can reduce the volume using the DAC's built-in preamp.

It is the same in software like foobar. 100% volume is 0dBFS, meaning no attenuation, the file is played at full volume. From there you can reduce volume by a set amount of dB.

OP
davidebond

davidebond

Thanks for your reply. It is a sort of preorderd set, whose sup is 0 and the order is "less than". My question is: how can turn at 20% of the volume? In other words, what is the relation between this preset and the normal scale to which anyone is accustomed to?

Thanks,

davide

staticV3

Master Contributor
In other words, what is the relation between this preset and the normal scale to which anyone is accustomed to?
There is no normal scale.
If you set these volume sliders to 20%:
windows-new-volume-control-not-working.png1mac-volume-control.jpg
Then the resulting volume will be different.
Same for headphone Amps. 9 o'clock on each Amp's volume knob will be different volume on all.

If you want 20% perceived loudness, then you can turn that into dB with this calculator. Enter '0.2' for "Ratio X for Loudness" and you get -23.2dB.

Screenshot_20221213-113351_Chrome.png

OP
davidebond

davidebond

Thanks. That I would: a bridge between the perceived loudness and the db.

Best,

davide

OP
davidebond

davidebond

Excuse me the question, but you use the calculator any time you listen to music?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Excuse me the question, but you use the calculator any time you listen to music?
The calculator (and indeed the whole dB scale on the device volume ) can only inform you about relative not absolute loudness. How loud your headphones are depends on the level of the digital signal into the dac (which of course will charge as music gets louder and quieter) and the sensitivity of the headphones themselves.

If you swapped current headphones for more sensitive ones and played the same music at the same position on the volume of the dx3 it would be louder.

All I would worry about is what setting on the dx3 with your headphones makes the loud passages too loud for you, likewise what is too quiet and stay between those 2 levels during a listening session. And check what volume setting the dx3 is on before pressing play.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The dBFS (max = 0) is deeply counterintuitive for newbies like me and I still sometimes double-take when I see my volume is set at -30 (for example) and have to think about whether I want a bigger looking number (like -40) which is quieter or a smaller looking number (like -20) which is very loud on my system (yes, I do know that -40 is smaller than -20, but my head just sees 40 and 20)

It's a standard scale and approach though, and it doesn't change the music :) Turn the knob clockwise and the volume goes up, and I'm happy

OP
davidebond

davidebond

Thanks for all. Windows 11 puts the volume at 100% connecting the dac. This is good. As said before, I have a topping dx3 pro which connect via rca to a jds lab headphone amp. Now, I using a Sennheiser HD 650. This morning I tried to listen to the first two symphonyes by Nielsen. I encountered many difficulties in setting the volume. I must use the gain on the amp and set the volume of the amp almost at 50%. With the dac at -20 I didn't found a impressive sound. The headphone has 300 $\Omega$ of impedence. Shifting towards -40, is worse. Is it necessary to set the dac at 1.0? I listened using Powerdvd22 Ultra with dts support. I didn't open Foobar2000 since it cannot tackle with mshuttle in pure audio. A suggestion? @staticV3, @Marc v E

Thanks,

davide

P.S. I know that suggesting the right volume in a forum is impossible; I would only know how increasing the volume towards 0 doesn't solve the question. The cd was published by the London Symphony Orchestra label which (I must admit) has not a gorgeous sound,

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Thanks for all. Windows 11 puts the volume at 100% connecting the dac. This is good. As said before, I have a topping dx3 pro which connect via rca to a jds lab headphone amp. Now, I using a Sennheiser HD 650. This morning I tried to listen to the first two symphonyes by Nielsen. I encountered many difficulties in setting the volume. I must use the gain on the amp and set the volume of the amp almost at 50%. With the dac at -20 I didn't found a impressive sound. The headphone has 300 $\Omega$ of impedence. Shifting towards -40, is worse. Is it necessary to set the dac at 1.0? I listened using Powerdvd22 Ultra with dts support. I didn't open Foobar2000 since it cannot tackle with mshuttle in pure audio. A suggestion? @staticV3, @Marc v E

Thanks,

davide

P.S. I know that suggesting the right volume in a forum is impossible; I would only know how increasing the volume towards 0 doesn't solve the question. The cd was published by the London Symphony Orchestra label which (I must admit) has not a gorgeous sound,
As a guideline I use this: Windows sound at full volume, dac at 0db and adjust the volume at the headamp you get the best performance. Then the dac is at full volume and the headamp does the amplification or in this case reduction of the signal. Just make sure you start with the volume on the amp very low.

There are dacs that have such a high sinad that you can adjust the volume on the dac itself. I'm not 100% sure if your dac falls in this category. Others know probably more than I do in this category.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
With the dac at -20 I didn't found a impressive sound
Impressive volume or impressive sound quality?

Shifting towards -40, is worse
Less loud or worse sound quality?

Im not sure we are understanding the problem is here. As others have said, try with Windows and any software player at 100%, Dac at 0db (full volume) and amplifier at the lowest gain setting you need to get loud enough as you near full turn of the volume knob. If low gain full volume on the dial is too quiet, go up to the next gain etc etc. Ideally you want to be set up so your volume knob on the amp is above 10 o clock.

OP
davidebond

davidebond

Thanks for your reply. To @Marc v E: the dac has the knob to adjust the volume. What is the sinad? I didn't put the dac volume at 0, because I thought that it could arise distortions at such high volume. To @Jimbob54: the reply to your two question is: the volume. The sound quality of the dac and of hd 650 is the best. I wouldn't use the gain for fear of distortions. I used it because, otherwise, the volume were very low.

In such a thread the problem is only the quantity of volume. The quality of the sound is not matter of question, since I am more than satisfied.

Best,

davide

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for your reply. To @Marc v E: the dac has the knob to adjust the volume. What is the sinad? I didn't put the dac volume at 0, because I thought that it could arise distortions at such high volume. To @Jimbob54: the reply to your two question is: the volume. The sound quality of the dac and of hd 650 is the best. I wouldn't use the gain for fear of distortions. I used it because, otherwise, the volume were very low.

In such a thread the problem is only the quantity of volume. The quality of the sound is not matter of question, since I am more than satisfied.

Best,

davide
-40 is quite a significantly lower output than -20 which is again a lot lower than 0db. You are hobbling the amp by providing such low output levels from the DAC. Set your DAC to 0 or just under that and the amp on whatever gain and volume position you need to get the volume you want from the headphones

OP
davidebond

davidebond

Ok. I set the volume of the pc and of Foobar2000 to 100%, that of the dac to 0.0. This time the sound was more loud. Without gain, the sound was faible. Then I press the gain button and set the volume of amp tp 30%. The sound was very loud. Thanks. At any rate, after inserting the cable of the dac in the pc, the volume of Foobar2000 and of the system are of default to 100%. So, it works.

Thanks,

davide

Top Bottom