• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to waste a 9038Q2M Chip---Simple R & M for a taobao 9038Q2M Board

WolfX-700

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My friend sent it to me for measurement. This device is less than $ 40.

We just saw SGD1 this impressive 9038Q2M device.It fully illustrates that the 9038Q2M can be made the highest performing device on the leaderboard.

Now let's see ... how can 9038Q2M be wasted.

Photo.jpg

Dashboard.jpg

Dynamic Range - AES17.jpg

THD+N Ratio.jpg

SMPTE Ratio.jpg
Multitone.jpg

Summary: It's totally rubbish!

Tks

Major Contributor
Is this the one that gets rave reviews on diyaudio?

That place is such an oddity for me. Folks that are concerned and seemingly knowledgeable about so much with hardware and electronics, yet... so headless when they start talking like: "yeah dude, this OPAMP IS BEAST, I hear the difference instantly!"

I understand DiY is fun, but why not use it as a stepping stone, and at least track your progress in the hobby? Not simply playing blind fold darts using your ears as the analyzer as so many people there seem to be doing for some odd reason.

It reminds me of those walking contradiction of a people - who accept the totality of all scientific principles, and virtually every consensus, but then stop and deny something singular and random like evolution. Or someone that accepts evolution but none of geology. So weird...

Timbo2

There is an IC in a socket so I'm assuming you can roll your own op-amp. Somehow I doubt that's going to help...

half_dog

I'm surprise that there is no ess hump =P
I don´t know if it would be off topic, but I have an interesting experience with a similiar board, it´s a ealier version. Those boards were (is) made using voltage mode. So, I´ve utilized its IC socket and part of circuit to make a buffer (with LM4562) for AVVC and DC offset following ESS recommendations from this http://www.esstech.com/index.php/download_file/view/69/267/ and, in another board, the current mode circuit. Maybe I'll never know if it really made any real difference, but "measuring" with an audio interface (TASCAM US 366), it seems okay, nothing broken and DC offset bellow 3mV (all DC coupled). I was able to make it thanks to a thread on DIYaudio (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/314935-es9038q2m-board.html).

Reactions: Tks

MrSlim

Is this the one that gets rave reviews on diyaudio?
In original form, it gets no rave reviews, the flaws are very obvious. It has been the basis for many interesting experiements by Markw4 and others on the 534 page thread mentioned by half_dog, and although not "pretty" he suggests that the sound quality can approach that of a Benchmark DAC-3 (which he owns). Granted, DIY'ers are a special breed (raising hand), but there is something about being able to say "I made this", beyond just the final result.

half_dog

I have moved a few months ago and during the packing process I found the old DIY DAC I have talked above and did some measurements again. It did not measured so bad for a completly modified boardand very ugly job. Sorry,I am not an electrical engineer and that time I had not much notion in general about good manners to make/build a something like this - I will posts some pics of the Frankenstein and you will understand my little apology .

Attachments

• DIY_9038Q2M_jitter_12kHz_toslink.png
    DIY_9038Q2M_jitter_12kHz_toslink.png
    187.2 KB · Views: 136
  • DIY_9038Q2M_SINAD_1kHz.png
    DIY_9038Q2M_SINAD_1kHz.png
    228.3 KB · Views: 131

half_dog

Guys... I knew that was ugly but not THAT UGLY HAHA
I am quite surprise THIS could measured that "good" with fake ICs, capacitors with long legs, A LOT OF "flying" wires... OH GOD, I'm ashamed. To build the Frankenstein (cute nick name) was used an fake amanero, a O2 based headphone amp (the perforated board) and two DAC boards: one that had an ES9018K2M with a okay analog circuit (which was modified as well) but with out crytal oscilator and the generic 9038Q2M board - this is bellow the 9018 board. The analog part from 9038 was rebuild to work as the voltage reference circuit.

Attachments

• Frankensteain_9038_board.jpeg
    Frankensteain_9038_board.jpeg
    137.5 KB · Views: 181
  • Frankensteain_9038_board_2.jpeg
    Frankensteain_9038_board_2.jpeg
    138.1 KB · Views: 192
  • Frankensteain_top.jpeg
    Frankensteain_top.jpeg
    371.2 KB · Views: 193
Top Bottom