• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to wash an amplifier board?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
its wd-40 contact cleaner wd is just the brand
Don't use WD40 for cleaning electronic contacts and pots/switches. Use the proper stuff designed for electronics stuff and not a cure all spray on everything stuff like WD40.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Fortunately there is not much to spray in your amp.
MCA30_4.jpg

MCA30.jpg

I just use my dish washer. Set it to "pots and pans" or "heavy", and "high heat" as well as "heat to dry" or the like. Also, probably don't leave it plugged in and switched on, unless you have a state-of-the-art power conditioner and very high-quality power cable. Note that some washers' doors are really badly designed and wont close properly over a thick cable. You can wash the cables and power conditioner separately. I recommend using double or triple the usual detergent, minimum, ideally audiophile-quality detergent. Its molecular structure repolarizes the amp's and cables' ionic diode-spectra, achieving stunning transparency and musicality, with transcendent sound stage and stereo mapping.

If that doesn't do the trick, coat all surfaces with chunky peanut butter and invite the neighborhood dogs over. It's astounding how thoroughly they'll clean the unit. Once again, consider not leaving it plugged in. Good luck!

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just use my dish washer. Set it to "pots and pans" or "heavy", and "high heat" as well as "heat to dry" or the like. Also, probably don't leave it plugged in and switched on, unless you have a state-of-the-art power conditioner and very high-quality power cable. Note that some washers' doors are really badly designed and wont close properly over a thick cable. You can wash the cables and power conditioner separately. I recommend using double or triple the usual detergent, minimum, ideally audiophile-quality detergent. Its molecular structure repolarizes the amp's and cables' ionic diode-spectra, achieving stunning transparency and musicality, with transcendent sound stage and stereo mapping.

If that doesn't do the trick, coat all surfaces with chunky peanut butter and invite the neighborhood dogs over. It's astounding how thoroughly they'll clean the unit. Once again, consider not leaving it plugged in. Good luck!
I had the laundry in mind.

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In the engineering design center I work in we build a lot of prototype and test PC boards. The electronic tech washes them in the sink with warm water and a scrub brush to get the soldering flux off, then an immersion in an ultrasonic cleaner with some sort of de-ionized water based electronic cleaning solution, then water removal with compressed air, then a low heat bake in a temperature controlled chamber to evaporate any residual moisture. Contrary to popular belief, clean water is not intrinsically damaging to electronics as long as it is allowed to dry completely before power is applied.

ozric

Don't use WD40 for cleaning electronic contacts and pots/switches. Use the proper stuff designed for electronics stuff and not a cure all spray on everything stuff like WD40.
You mean an electrical contact cleaner like this?

OP
S

Ssmokeyy

Yes the contact cleaner spec can. No I would never use normal wd 40 lube. So I cleaned her off and opened her up. Cleaned the inside and I think I found some bad news. I think someone has been inside this amp and changing caps out with who knows what brand. Two of the amp boards have caps rated 25v 220uf with the 3rd board mounted with 16v 220uf caps. I have now clue what they all changed. Here is some pictures of what I found. Found my reading these amps used chemi-con caps. Only the 15000 uf caps list that brand. What do u guys think? Is there any repair guys onbthis forum that is trusted to do a good job on repair work?
20230524_181130.jpg
20230524_180350.jpg
20230524_175826.jpg
20230524_181209.jpg
20230524_181116.jpg
20230524_181215.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You mean an electrical contact cleaner like this?
It apparently leaves no residue. What about when you want to leave a surface coating or clean and lubricate too.

sam_adams

Major Contributor
Cleaned the inside and I think I found some bad news. I think someone has been inside this amp and changing caps out with who knows what brand. Two of the amp boards have caps rated 25v 220uf with the 3rd board mounted with 16v 220uf caps. I have now clue what they all changed. Here is some pictures of what I found. Found my reading these amps used chemi-con caps. Only the 15000 uf caps list that brand. What do u guys think? Is there any repair guys onbthis forum that is trusted to do a good job on repair work?

The brown caps in the first pic are Nichicon KME series. The big black ones are also Nichicon, probably SMH or SMR series—can't see the third letter clearly. Without clearer pics of the little blue and black ones it's hard to tell the manufacturer.

OP
S

Ssmokeyy

I would bet the channel with the brown kme is all stock. I'm betting the black caps on the other boards were installed later. I can open the amp again later and try to get better pics of the other caps.

Top Bottom