• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to use headphones with vintage CD/record players?

shaney777

OK, this is going to be a really stupid question, but that's why I am posting in the newbie area. So I wish to listen to my vintage CD player and also vintage turntable with HE400i. Is it as simple as connecting by RCA and you're ready to go, or do I need to use a DAC as well?
It would be output of CD player to input of amp?
And R to R and L to L on the RCA cables?

Katji

Major Contributor
There is a DAC / Digital Analog Converter in the CD player. RCA connectors analog output to amplifier. ...Yes and Yes.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For the turntable you will probably need a phono preamp. As @Katji said, the CD player can connect directly to the amp.

Martin

Katji

Major Contributor
Yeah, depends on the amp. "Vintage"/"semi-vintage" amp will have phono pre-amp and headphone out. Afaik I never saw one that didn't. ...Maybe because I never saw British stuff like Quad /whatever.

OP
S

shaney777

Thank you both! <3

Top Bottom