• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to use AVR to listen to multich music from PC (display issue)?

Ongii

Hello folks out there!

Any hints on how to listen to multichannel music with an AVR, from a Windows PC? Connecting via HDMI creates an additional "display" were you may move your mouse pointer to, and -even worse- applications may start on that display, and you aren't able to grab them and bring them on the real screen.
The root cause of this annoying issue is the fact that HDMI always carries video.

I use already two displays, configured as independent. The AVR would be the third one.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Ongii

PS
I thought about putting a multichannel USB DAC in between, but then I suspect I will loose any DSP processing on the AVR (multichannel analogue input).

Last edited:

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
That's standard Windows. In an office it's extremely handy to have two screens working independently, allowing emails on one and spreadsheets on the other.

You just need to change the screen settings to "duplicate".

OP
Ongii

Ongii

That's standard Windows. In an office it's extremely handy to have two screens working independently, allowing emails on one and spreadsheets on the other.

You just need to change the screen settings to "duplicate".
Thanks. I forgot to add the information that I already use two screens, independently. I will modify my first post.
So, I cannot duplicate 2 of 3 screens, and use the 3rd independently. :(
Or can I, actually?

Last edited:

18000rpm

I think you will need to use one the HDMI outputs you are currently using and designate it as the audio device, which then goes to an AVR before going to the display. Or if you absolutely want your HDMI to go directly to your display, you will need to use eARC on that display (if supported) to go back to your AVR to process the sound.

Top Bottom