• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to use a Balanced/Unbalanced in/out Headphone Amplifier?

dynames

Specifically I am looking at the Schiit Magnius headphone amp, which for my use case will be:

USB DAC -> Magnius:
Balanced-in (Dual 3 pin xlr) OR Unbalanced-in (rca)

Magnius -> Headphones:
Headphone-Balanced-Out (4 pin xlr) OR Headphone-Unbalanced-out (SE Quarter Inch TRS)

Q1 (main): Suppose I am connecting a DAC's balanced-out, via a balanced cable, to the balanced-in of the Magnius.
Will there be any danger if I then use the SE headphone output of the Magnius via an unbalanced cable? How about a TRS jack to 4 pin xlr cable?
Does this apply to any amp that has both balanced and unbalanced in/out?
I ask this because in general I know that connecting a balanced output via an unbalanced cable to headphones is bad.

Q2(sub): So I have the Aune x1s GT dac/amp. It has unbalanced rca out in the back, and the only balanced output it has is the 4.4 headphone-out in the front. Am I correct in that this 4.4 is NOT to be used as an out to the balanced-in of a headphone amp?

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A headphone amplifier jack is not the best way to send a signal to a line-put, on a headphone amplifier.
It might work, but it not something recommended.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Will there be any danger if I then use the SE headphone output of the Magnius via an unbalanced cable?
No danger. Definitely do not try and adapt a SE headphone to the 4 pin out of the amp. You CAN safely adapt a balanced headphone to go into a single ended amp socket.

As for Q2- I woulnt use the 4.4 headphone out of the Aune to the inputs on the Magnius- far better to use the RCA out the Aune and into RCA Magnius. I dont think you would harm anything the other way, just means you are having to fiddle with 2 volume knobs to get the right balance and if too high might clip the inputs on the Magnius.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Q1 (main): Suppose I am connecting a DAC's balanced-out, via a balanced cable, to the balanced-in of the Magnius.

Will there be any danger if I then use the SE headphone output of the Magnius via an unbalanced cable?...
...Does this apply to any amp that has both balanced and unbalanced in/out?
The inputs & outputs are independent.

It wouldn't be unusual for an amplifier (or other gizmo) to have a balanced circuit on the input and a balanced circuit on the output, but with a single-path through most of the internal circuitry.

OP
D

dynames

Thanks for the replies everybody, I think most of my original queries have been answered. To make sure I understand:

On Q1: I don't want to DIY any connections with unbalanced/balanced cabling, so to be safe I would either run everything unbalanced, or everything balanced. I also understand that having: balanced source out ->unbalanced cable -> unbalanced headphones will damage the source. Whereas: Unbalanced source out ->Balanced cable -> Balanced headphones will be fine.

That's why I was confused with: balanced source into amp ->unbalanced amp out to headphones. From the answers above I assume this is fine because the input and output of the amp are independent to each other?

In general, does this mean that regardless of the source (balanced/unbalanced) going into the amp, I can safely use whichever amp headphone output (balanced/unbalanced)? My main concern is to not break anything.

On Q2: I was just lamenting that my Aune DAC/Amp didn't have a proper balanced line out to an amplifier. I was also a bit confused, because some other DACs like the ones from ifi have a 4.4 in the front AND the back.

Other: I own some Hifiman headphones with dual 3.5 TRS, and some Sennheiser hd 500's (559 and 569) with a single 2.5 TRRS. There's never documentation on this but since these are balanced connectors, I assume these headphones can run balanced with no problem?

Last edited:

Grumpish

Depends on the amplifier- the first thing is that there is no such thing as a balanced output into a speaker or headphone, it is either a bridged pair of amplifiers on a common ground, or a single amplifier. At line level balanced gives better noise rejection, for headphones a greater voltage swing. If both pairs of amplifiers are tied to a common ground, no problem, if they float around independent grounds then you could end up with damaging DC offsets.

shkdwnst

No danger. Definitely do not try and adapt a SE headphone to the 4 pin out of the amp. You CAN safely adapt a balanced headphone to go into a single ended amp socket.

As for Q2- I woulnt use the 4.4 headphone out of the Aune to the inputs on the Magnius- far better to use the RCA out the Aune and into RCA Magnius. I dont think you would harm anything the other way, just means you are having to fiddle with 2 volume knobs to get the right balance and if too high might clip the inputs on the Magnius.
I recently got a Magnius, to replace my iFi ZEN Can. But, I kept the ZEN Dac connected, and used the 4.4mm output, on the back of the ZEN, that split into two 3 pin XLRs, on the back of the Magnius, for balanced inputs. Everything is working, sounds great, imo. Although, everything sounds thinner, out of the Magnius. The ZEN Can, had a fuller, almost lush sound, when compared to the Schitt. To my ear, anyway. But, not in a bad way, or anything. It makes it sound like the Zen Cans sound was colored, in some way, and this just sounds perfectly neutral, and uncolored, in any way.
Anyway, I was wondering, after reading your post, if there was anything wrong running the Magnius, using the 4.4mm output. Its a basic splitter, that has a male 4.4mm termination on one end, then it splits, into two male XLRs, that go into the amp input. Would I benefit SQ-wise, by using XLRs, at both ends, to connect a Dac, to an Amp? Or, am I just fine, and getting fully balanced signal, with this set up?
Thank you for any help you can offer. I am most appreciative. :cool:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I recently got a Magnius, to replace my iFi ZEN Can. But, I kept the ZEN Dac connected, and used the 4.4mm output, on the back of the ZEN, that split into two 3 pin XLRs, on the back of the Magnius, for balanced inputs. Everything is working, sounds great, imo. Although, everything sounds thinner, out of the Magnius. The ZEN Can, had a fuller, almost lush sound, when compared to the Schitt. To my ear, anyway. But, not in a bad way, or anything. It makes it sound like the Zen Cans sound was colored, in some way, and this just sounds perfectly neutral, and uncolored, in any way.
Anyway, I was wondering, after reading your post, if there was anything wrong running the Magnius, using the 4.4mm output. Its a basic splitter, that has a male 4.4mm termination on one end, then it splits, into two male XLRs, that go into the amp input. Would I benefit SQ-wise, by using XLRs, at both ends, to connect a Dac, to an Amp? Or, am I just fine, and getting fully balanced signal, with this set up?

Should be fine.

Top Bottom