• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to treat room mode?

k900733

Hey there!

My listening room with dimension 7.4m x 5.3m x 2.2m (24.28ft x 17.39ft x 7.22ft) has a +8db peak around 66 Hz. Very likely the room modes 0-2-0 & 3-0-0, as my listening position is at the middle of Left/Right and the latter 1/4 of Front/Rear.

I already have 10 GIK 244 traps on first reflection, 8 GIK tri-traps stacking at corners, and 3 diy 244 traps. Also two of Rythmik F12 subs sitting at mid of Front and Rear wall, xo at 40 Hz.

How can I alleviate the 66Hz peak due to room mode other than EQ? Would putting more traps help?
Also there is a peak around 88Hz from the Right speaker, which I have no idea what causes it. Any idea and how to treat it ?

Thanks!

SPL.jpg
L-wf.jpg
R-wf.jpg
rm1.PNG
rm2.PNG
room treatment-reduce.jpg

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
EQ, Roon, JRiver some dacs such as RME, use the EQ feature on REW to determine, frequency, gain, Q.
Keith

OP
K

k900733

EQ, Roon, JRiver some dacs such as RME, use the EQ feature on REW to determine, frequency, gain, Q.
Keith
Thank you!

Yes I do use EQ filters generated by REW on the HQPlayer. I also want to learn if there is other way to do that than EQ.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Massive amounts of passive absorption, membrane traps, helmholtz resonators, impedance traps such as PSI’s
Keith

MRC01

Major Contributor
Eyeballing the overall response curve, I'd take a different approach: reduce the peaks at 66 and 90 Hz by a small amount, like only 3 dB, and lift the dip centered at 37 Hz. That dip looks like it's about 1.55:1 on each side (24 - 58 Hz) and 6-8 dB deep.

Top Bottom