• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to treat a room 2x 2metres low cost effectively

ehabheikal

If you want really cheap or free sound treatment fill the room with all your useless junk and soft things like teddybears extra pillows etc. Cluttered rooms sound better than empty rooms. These work as both diffuser like and absorption. And a rug on the floor.

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What is "low cost" and what is "effective" to you? I spent about $1500 in treatments on a 10'x10' room on a blend of 4" and 6" GIK Alpha panels, 4" ATS bass traps, and very heavy acoustic curtains on a large window. I feel the investment was a great deal for the impact on sound quality. I'm guessing you are looking for much cheaper though. If you have the means, DIY materials are available from ATS, Acoustimac, and others. Having done it, DIY can save a bunch of money, but it's a lot of work that's messy and requires space, and handling and cutting all the FR701 sucsk (or whatever fiberglass panels you choose).

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sometimes I think questions like this are "secret shopper" stings set up by @amirm to gauge members' thinking. The sad truth is that a 6'6" x 6'6" room will never be a satisfactory room for speakers. Just can't be done, at any price. Buy a comfy chair, decent headphones, bolt on a buttkicker, and spend the rest of your budget on music, weed and beer.

robwpdx

It depends on your objective(s) Do you want to keep sound out? Do you want to keep sound in? What frequencies are you trying to keep in / out? Do you want to control echoes? What frequency echos? Are you designing for live-end / dead-end? Do you own the building? What is the current situation of floor, ceiling, walls, and doors. What is the floor loading capability. How is the room ventilated and climate conditioned?

An all-in-one solution is a modular audiology booth, sometimes you can find them second hand.

Last edited:
OP
K

KehaDNb

Sometimes I think questions like this are "secret shopper" stings set up by @amirm to gauge members' thinking. The sad truth is that a 6'6" x 6'6" room will never be a satisfactory room for speakers. Just can't be done, at any price. Buy a comfy chair, decent headphones, bolt on a buttkicker, and spend the rest of your budget on music, weed and beer.
I think the same

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a room 2x 2metres can I treat it myself. How?
The lowest standing wave you will have in your room is 85Hz, hence most acoustic absorbers will do a god job. However, I expect most problems will be caused by reflections doing ping pong between opposing walls and between ceiling and floor.

If you have bookshelves on opposing walls you may not need much absorption on the opposite wall. If you have large furniture like a bed of sofa then you may not need anything to be done to the ceiling.

If you explain further or post pictures of the finished room we can advise further.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The sad truth is that a 6'6" x 6'6" room will never be a satisfactory room for speakers. Just can't be done, at any price.
Why? What will be the insurmountable problem?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The size. You say:
If you have bookshelves on facing walls you don’t need much absorption on opposite wall. If you have large furniture like a bed ...
A wall of books would reduce the width to 5'9" ... smallest bed is 30" x 78" ... so free floor space is now 39" x 78" ... a 30" door needs to swing open somewhere, so now you have 39" x 48" for a chair and two speakers. Minus more for even the thinnest absorbers ... good luck with that!

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The size. You say:

A wall of books would reduce the width to 5'9" ... smallest bed is 30" x 78" ... so free floor space is now 39" x 78" ... a 30" door needs to swing open somewhere, so now you have 39" x 48" for a chair and two speakers. Minus more for even the thinnest absorbers ... good luck with that!
Why do you need absorber for such a small place? The furniture in the room acts like diffuser and absorber.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

It will be difficult to keep early reflections and direct sound seperate. We need at least 6 milliseconds between the two, and that’s roughly 1 meter.

So basically you have to turn the space to an anechoic chamber.

robwpdx

The Facebook Room Acoustics: Absorption, Diffusion, and Soundproofing group is a pretty active.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It will be difficult to keep early reflections and direct sound seperate. We need at least 6 milliseconds between the two, and that’s roughly 1 meter.

So basically you have to turn the space to an anechoic chamber.
Why do you want them as separate?

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why do you need absorber for such a small place? The furniture in the room acts like diffuser and absorber.
You said:
The lowest standing wave you will have in your room is 85Hz, hence most acoustic absorbers will do a god job.

If you have bookshelves on opposing walls you may not need much absorption on the opposite wall. If you have large furniture like a bed of sofa then you may not need anything to be done to the ceiling.
But now, 15 minutes later, you're saying no absorbers are needed at all ... make your mind up! And tell us how you would set up a music system in a space 3'3" x 4"0"?

Top Bottom