• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to test your device for EMI noise with an oscilloscope

NattyLumpkins

This video explains the basic principles and techniques used when debugging EMI issues using an oscilloscope and near-field probes.

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I did not watch the video, but a couple of issues using a 'scope are low sensitivity since DSOs have a fairly high noise floor, and limited bandwidth using a typical inexpensive'ish 'scope. I much prefer to use a spectrum analyzer, but of course that is not cheap... A little loop probe serves well.

OP
NattyLumpkins

NattyLumpkins

I did not watch the video, but a couple of issues using a 'scope are low sensitivity since DSOs have a fairly high noise floor, and limited bandwidth using a typical inexpensive'ish 'scope. I much prefer to use a spectrum analyzer, but of course that is not cheap... A little loop probe serves well.
Yes I realized that right after I posted it but thought I would leave it up anyway. Did you ever test any of your audio equipment just out of curiosity?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Yes I realized that right after I posted it but thought I would leave it up anyway. Did you ever test any of your audio equipment just out of curiosity?
Yes, but years ago. EMI was part of my day job so unless some "good buddy" was invading my system I didn't pay it much mind. The only problems I recall were on some phono inputs and one of my tube amps when the cover was off (it was OK with it on). It was a much bigger deal doing live sound reinforcement where runs were long and the environment typically much noisier.

Top Bottom